Author Topic: Help with contacting ING Bank in Fethiye please  (Read 15805 times)

Offline Dutchie

Re: Help with contacting ING Bank in Fethiye please
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 22:07:20 PM »
I can try and give them a call tomorrow (if I don't forget).
They seem to have a local tel number.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 23:42:10 PM »
Yes, Phil tried that, but it is all in Turkish and when you try to speak they cut you off. 

A bit inconsiderate of them having "it all in Turkish" I suppose.  Ever tried speaking any Turkish to them?

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 00:09:36 AM »
Phil did speak to someone who said he would put him through to someone who would help and spoke English. when he was put through, Phil started to speak and the guy said something in Turkish and put the phone down. He tried again a couple of times and then gave up.
We unfortunately, do not speak Turkish, we try to learn as much as we can when we are over.  We have tried for classes locally to us,  but there are none.   I would love to speak the language.  If you lived in Turkey you must have learned the language,  I am sure we would too if you lived there.
I wonder, just how many people on this Forum do speak fluent Turkish?  and if they don't , I suppose you would hold them in contempt and despise them for daring to own a house or have a holiday in Turkey without speakng the language fluently.
I feel quite sorry for you that you feel it necessary to be so rude and so nasty.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »
I had to go to Dundee for Turkish lessons, there were none in Aberdeen. Some of the Turkish people I know speak very little English so I enjoy being able to converse with them.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
Rude and nasty?  Nah... not even close - I save that for folks I dislike.

I suspect you could count on the fingers of one hand the "fluent" Turkish speakers on here, i.e. those who could be classified as Advanced (C1/C2 CEF scale).   It's likely that there will be a higher proportion who are scattered between Beginner (A1) and Upper Intermediate (B2) with the bulk being A1/A2.  Then of course there will be those who simply have their two weeks here and there who have no need (other than daily pleasantries) to learn any Turkish.

While not holding permanent residents in "contempt" (your word, not mine) if they don't speak any Turkish I do find it a bit disrespectful that so many make no effort whatsoever.  Maybe its a British thing where everyone is expected to speak English, a throwback to the days of colonialism. 

I know quite a few folks who live in Fethiye full time, have done for several years and speak next to zero Turkish.  Not even numbers or days of the week. 

I just don't get them. 

Personally, I've never got beyond Intermediate (B1) and through lack of use I suspect now I'd be lucky to scrape past Elementary.  International law firms in Turkey all use English as the common language so working for one didn't help my Turkish.

I had to go to Dundee for Turkish lessons, there were none in Aberdeen. Some of the Turkish people I know speak very little English so I enjoy being able to converse with them.

Did you go to Dundee Uni for lessons?  If so you may have had the same teacher I had years ago, cheery wee chap called Oz.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 14:30:39 PM »
The local Tailor in Peterhead is a Turk, he charges an arm and a leg for alterations, so I stopped going to him, but when I did I used to have a few words with him in Turkish and he always used to get annoyed with me if I said anything wrong.  I  got the impression he thought that I should not be even trying.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 14:34:56 PM »
I've called them and they have given me a mail address for a lady called Doga.
Apparently she speaks English.
I'll send you her info by pm Jacqui.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 16:01:14 PM »
Thanks again Dutchie, Very kind of you.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 21:02:31 PM »
Thanks to Dutchie, we made contact with the person in the Bank.  She asked us to come in today.  We got up at 7.00am got ready had breakfast and  got to the Bank at 8.48am.  There was already people waiting to get in.  We waited and amaziingly people just pushed in front of us to be near the door.. When it opened a whole gush of humanity rushed in.  We followed and they all queued for numbers. We asked for the lady and she called us over...Result.
She dealt with our enquiry about the non payment of the Electric Bill and we asked her to make sure it was paid every month.  Then came the devastating blow.... She said she was only enquiries and we had to get a number to go to the other assistants to sort this out.... Oh Dear!!   She got the guard to go to the machine and put in our account number and get a number. However, on waiting  to be seen the number sequence is different if you have a Business and they take priority.  Bottom line.  We arrived at 8.48am and left at 9.40am.   We have now sorted out the internet Banking, so, hopefully we will never have to go into that Bank again.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 21:05:56 PM »
Not quite as bad as Garanti !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf