Author Topic: Affect of exchange rate  (Read 17358 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2006, 10:01:38 AM »
Well we've just been over for two weeks and paid for just about everything in Lira. Most of the bars and restaurants on the front are priced in Lira and even in the market on Tuesday I managed to spend mostly lira. The only people that seem to price in sterling are the estate agents and the management companies - so if you are buying property at the moment I would think there could be an option to knock the price down, especially if you are buying from a Turkish owner.

Stoop

ps - Crabbit lost some money:D:D:D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:04:59 AM by stoop »

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
what is the long term veiw about investing/ leaving cash(lira) in turkish bank , will interest rate make up for the fall in currentcy? if you leave sterling in bank does that attract interest growth?[|)]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:57:22 AM by c1 »

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »
C! - see my previous posts on the subject & make your own mind up.
Also put a search in for historical exchange rates, go back as long as they'll let you - usually around 7 yrs & be prepared for a shock, then make your mind up.
It's only the last 3 years that have seen any real stability. Was inflation in Turkey that much lower than the UK? Is revaluation of the Lira well overdue. It's just been a minor adjustment this time - In December 2003 the rate was 2.80 to the £. Look beyond the last 3 years & decide.
Linda

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2006, 17:13:03 PM »
Hi im a bit confused if i put money into my Turkish bank accounts do i get better rate if i change it to tyl when paying in or just pay GBPin also what is the rate today.

Lance

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2006, 18:16:09 PM »
Lance
Rate today is about 2.97YTL to the £.
You really should do lots of homework before even thinking of investing in any foreign currency.
Don't just look at the headline interest rate.
Just read this from start to finish as a beginning then do LOTS more research.
Linda

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2006, 18:42:00 PM »
Hi Linda im not investing money as such just putting some in Turkish a/c in case i need it when out there sometime, there always seems to be something got to be bought and i haven't got enough on me dont really do investing like spending to much all the best .

Lance 8)

]

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2006, 19:29:14 PM »
The Turkish Central Bank began dollar sale auctions and YTL purchase auctions on Monday after the bank's Monetary Policy Committee met on Sunday to review interest policies and decided to implement a strong fiscal tightening, it said in a statement.  

Reiterating its commitment to the floating exchange rate regime, the central bank said it would not shy away from direct foreign exchange market intervention if necessary.

"The central bank will not be insensitive to excessive volatility... and will provide foreign exchange liquidity through tenders when it sees unhealthy price levels," it said.
First auctions:

In the first auctions of this kind, the bank withdrew YTL 500 million ($294 million) from the market, the maximum amount which it had set under the new policy instrument.

It withdrew YTL 398 million in a tender with a one-week maturity at a maximum rate of 18.5 percent after receiving bids of YTL 1.199 billion.

In a second tender with a two-week maturity it withdrew YTL 102 million at a maximum rate of 18.9 percent after bids totaled YTL 357 million.

The new policy regulations said auctions would have one-week and two-week maturities and their volume would not exceed YTL 500 million. The first two will mature on July 3 and July 10.

The lira, which has lost almost a quarter of its value since the end of April, closed at 1.7085 on Friday.

Sunday's central bank hike took the overnight borrowing rate to 17.25% from 15% and the lending rate to 20.25%.

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Affect of exchange rate
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2006, 19:43:41 PM »
They`ll lose money and auction some more.

Crabbit (buggering nobody`s post up)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf