Author Topic: Short term letting registration just completed Here is the steps and expences.  (Read 14570 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
I expect many homes to go on the market over the next few months.

Why?  Surely not because of these regulations.

This year will be the first year that we don't find ourselves in the position a lot of folks are, i.e. having friends and family using an apartment for a nominal charge.

If we were still in that position then, maybe because we're just a bit more pragmatic about things like this in Turkey, we'd simply bite the bullet and register the property as folks are having to do.  Yes, its another outlay, but not a massive amount - £179 set up fee and £50pm for the months that you rent or have friends staying.  If that's enough to make someone sell up then then I'd say they're just looking for an excuse to sell.

Over the years we've owned several properties in Turkey and operated two businesses, one a limited company, so nothing really surprises me any more when it comes to Turkish bureaucracy and ways the government and tax man manage to squeeze money out of the guy in the street.  The hotel associations have been lobbying for more regulation of the private rental sector for some time and with the introduction of new regulations relating to registering daily rentals, I suspect the government thought they could kill two birds with the one stone.  Happy days for the Maliye...

I reckon some folks think these new regulations are aimed at foreign owners - they aren't.  Turks who rent out their place have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else - Turkish friends with a place in Bodrum just signed up, even though their bookings for the past two years have been minimal.

My understanding from this post is that I do not need to register under the new rules?

Keith's right, you need to register but you wont need to register and pay SGK.

JF

Offline andyfitz

• Newly Registered
Thank you, please forgive my ignorance but I am still struggling with what I need to do.
I have read an article in the Fethiye times that says that to register on the police system is free. Its a case of turning up with passport and Tapu then recieving a crash course in how to use the software then away we go.
Are all the other fees for translators , passport translation as so forth all to do with tax registration?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
This is a reply to my further questions i asked Rainbow.

We are only offering this service to owners that have
Property Management, Rental Management and sign a rental declaration with us.We need to ensure we have total control of who is coming and going because we are seen by the authorities as taking full responsibility for the reporting process. The consequences of providing inaccurate information are very severe.

This also means that at the end of each season we will calculate your rental income tax on your behalf and arrange to pay it to the tax office. There maybe a small charge at the end of the year when we pay the tax over, at the moment he charges 100TL.

We have purchased a multi usage system from the Government so we can input guests each day of the season, the cost of this to owners is £150 and this is a one off payment.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
"If that's enough to make someone sell up then then I'd say they're just looking for an excuse to sell."

Maybe not enough in itself but it's definitely another nail in the coffin.

Also - how weird is it if you can't let your married daughter or your in laws stay in your home without having to pay for the privilege?

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
A question for the Inspector, or anyone else who can answer really, regarding the Accountant you have to employ to do your tax returns.
Do you have to give them any Power Of Attorney on your property to "run it as a company", and if so what would that POA allow them to do?
Reason I ask is because being up in the Hisaronu/Ovacik area there's a lot of painful memories around regarding people losing their properties due to allowing POA.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
You can't give a POA "on a property".  A POA can only be granted to an individual (or company) to act on your behalf - it can be limited by both time (e.g. a date) and by task.

To the best of my recollection, our accountant has never required a POA to act on our behalf in any dealings with the taxman. 

JF

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
Thanks JohnF

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Just enquired at the police about registering. We were told my hubby or solicitor (brother-in-law) has to be in Fethiye to register & fill forms. We told them we have guests coming this month and police said no hurry just register when we go there in Summer as long as guest isn't paying. Also he said if not registered or have paying guest you will get a warning first,  no fine.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Just enquired at the police about registering. We were told my hubby or solicitor (brother-in-law) has to be in Fethiye to register & fill forms. We told them we have guests coming this month and police said no hurry just register when we go there in Summer as long as guest isn't paying. Also he said if not registered or have paying guest you will get a warning first,  no fine.

... I'm confused! What is this 'registering'?

If you don't intend to make guests pay for staying at your home then what is the registering for? Is it to show that you simply let others stay in your home for free?

Our scenario is simple:

Once I am placed on the Tapu in June our home will be officially owned by myself and our friend. We both have wives and both have two grown up boys.

I take it that if any us stay then we have no need to register as our surnames will be the same?

If we want our married sisters, nephews or nieces to stay (those who have a different surname) then I'm assuming we might fall foul of the law?

Strange system when I could in effect let my nephew's daughter stay because she has my surname yet I can't let my sister or brother-in-law stay because they haven't!

In reality I could let my nephew's son's, son's, son's, daughter stay if I live long enough  ;)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Basically he is saying anyone can stay if they don't pay. It's more to do with tax. We were under the impression we had to register guests into the police system but seems there is no hurry for this. Seems they are a little relaxed about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf