Author Topic: I am drowning in returned mail  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I am drowning in returned mail
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »
Once again I got up this morning to about 60 junk emails and will, over the day get more usually about 100-200.  This has increased recently, as it used to be about 50 junk mails per day.
I have my own web shop and my email address, is of course linked to my web address, so I cannot change it.  Spammers use my email to send adverts to people and I get all the returned mail, sometime from very angry people.  
I have been told by my web site people there is nothing I can do about this as I have my own domain name which is, of course linked to my email....
I came back from holiday recently to over 1,000 junk mails.
If anyone has a solution I will be eternally grateful.
Jacqui.

Offline kevin b

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »
What I did when I had this problem was in outlook express click on message on in box & it should highlight it,then click on message bar at top of page,then click on block sender this will stop further messages from this email address.It can be a long process when you get lots every day but it will eventually cut them down as you get more blocked addresses in your blocked senders box.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
You can block the senders but that isn't the real problem, the problem is that people receiving the emails believe it is from you when it is not. Most of what can be done is in the hands of your host - they can put in place spam filters that should help. Most spammers move along after a time, sadly someone can come along behind and continue where they left off.

I've sent you an email Jacqui, if you get it (and if you don't that's a positive) reply to me. Also, forward one of the returned emails to me and I'll take a look.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
Ok the one thing you can do to drastically reduce this problem (I'm not sure you'll ever be spam free, I'm not :( ) is to contact your host again and tell them you want to stop using a "catch all" email system. The email I sent you wasn't to your email address, I made it up @yourdomain. So, you are using jacqui@(etc) but I can send it using any name@yourdomain - the one I sent you, which you received, was a randomly made up abcd@, not jacqui@

This means that with your domain known, anything before the @ can be used - even scunner@yourdomain would get into your inbox. No need to do any research, just make something up and you get it.

I hope that was understandable, if not just post a reply. What you need to do is inform your host that you only want to use jacqui@ and for them to set that up as a mailbox; and switch off the "catch all" email service.

That done, these wasters will at least need to put in a bit of effort  :) It won't solve all your problems but it should cut it down drastically.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
Will get in touch with my web people and ask them to do this.
Thanks a lot Keith it's good of you to take the time to help.
Jacqui.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »
Have been in touch with web people and they are going to get rid of the "catch all" this afternoon. They say it will not get rid of all the junk, but at least some of it will disappear.  I am so grateful for this advise Keith... Also thanks to Kevin will try that for any excess mail.
What a great site this is..
Jacqui.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Yes that's what we did and it really helped.  I hope it works with you too.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
I think you'll see a dramatic drop in these types of spam emails. Just remember that if you use any others like sales@ or enquiries@ these are set up as mailboxes. Easiest way is to send an email to them and make sure it arrives  :)

Glad I could help.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 13:13:10 PM »
Thanks Keith, have asked my web people to get rid of the sales and enquiries@ and just use jacqui.
I think it's working already, been at the computer a few hours now and no junk
Hurray!!!  what would we do without you?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 13:18:35 PM »
Watch TV I guess  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf