Author Topic: Warning - Facebook Messages - Worms & Trojans  (Read 2566 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Warning - Facebook Messages - Worms & Trojans
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
Yesterday Dogan and I both received several messages allegedly from a friend on Facebook. There was also a message showing a you tube link on this persons wall. Several of his contacts have been also been affected

The messages showed links to you tube.

These messages were not genuine...

and contained worms and trojans classified as severe and worse than severe and have infected my lovely new lap top.

I have removed them but had to restart computer several times as they just kept coming and I had to keep removing more.

I did a full scan last night but although the system is apparently now clean they have affected the display screen and today I can't access the internet.

Please do take care when opening messages box on Facebook because the new Facebook messages system opens straight to messages inbox without a delete option next to it and you may inadvertently open a message and then it is too late. Just opening the message is enough.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
Best to alter your facebook settings so that you can only receive messages off 'friends'

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
it was from a friend - although of course he didn't actually send them!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
I get emails from facebook saying a friend (yes I do have 1 or 2)has asked to be added to my list of friends. I also had one thanking me for registering with Facebook and to click the link to complete registration. The names are of people I recognise.
What is confusing me is that I have never registered with Facebook nor do I have a facebook account.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by nichola

it was from a friend - although of course he didn't actually send them!

Someone has hacked his account then I guess.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »
yes Stoop, I am sure and that is the problem - he did post a message on his wall warning people but for quite a few it was already too late - he didn't realise what was happening until he started getting comments and messages from his friends...

Plus if you get messages from facebook direct to your email you can click the link to go straight to the message (I think) which again will open the message and bingo - too late the damage is done.

Dogan has taken the lap top to our man in Fethiye to hopefully sort out... I hoping this is easily resolved.

Offline ukchris

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
have seen this a few time over the last couple of weeks. It is fake AV software that tell you have virus's and trojans every 30 seconds. The idea is you will be shocked into buying it.

Restart the laptop in safe mode with networking (keep tapping F8 key at startup)

download malwarebytes anti malware free edition

http://www.malwarebytes.org

install it and update it.

scan your machine, it will find the little tinker and remove it. reboot and you are done.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:38:19 AM by ukchris »

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 17:05:32 PM »
Help needed ive got a trojan its blocking me out all the time it screams at me then a request for 89 us dollars comes up to clear it off.Its also done my laptop in,im only a novice on here and not very good on a computor.Its just taken me 25 minutes to access calis forum.Can anyone help me to clear this as its driving me mad,thanks.

Offline starship

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 17:21:18 PM »

As above, or start in Safe Mode keep F8 pressed as system is loading, once loaded go to system restore.

And restore setting to a previous date.  Then get some antivirus software
 :)

Offline ukchris

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 18:40:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by micky mouse

Help needed ive got a trojan its blocking me out all the time it screams at me then a request for 89 us dollars comes up to clear it off.Its also done my laptop in,im only a novice on here and not very good on a computor.Its just taken me 25 minutes to access calis forum.Can anyone help me to clear this as its driving me mad,thanks.

use the instructions above. If you can't download or install malwarebytes in noraml windows, do it all in 'safe mode with networking'

I have today seen one called Vista Antispyware 2010 , which cannot be removed using the above method.

All the fake AV programs can be removed by a similar method, instructions and download links on this page

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 18:45:16 PM by ukchris »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf