Author Topic: O2 Mcafee security problem  (Read 2356 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
O2 Mcafee security problem
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »
Not sure from the print out but does Mcafee actually remove your cookies......if not do you manually remove them?  If not they will keep increasing all the time.  I use Kaspersky and it flags them as a vulnerability and whilst it says it is not necessary to remove them I do as I feel I don't want the clutter in my system. That is not a technical opinion :)

Offline simpsons

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
I use AVG anti-virus, which is free and very "user friendly." It also checks out any website before you click on them. Also it performs regular scans of your system and if it finds any viruses either heals them or moves them to its vault. AVG can be downloaded freee from www.computeractive.co.uk.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
I have sent a request to Mcafee, see what they have to say.  I used to have AVG Avast and it was great, so many reviews re Mcafee saying that is was all singing all dancing, however, I am finding that it is not quite what it says on the box.
I used to delete all cookies myself, Mcafee state this is done for you, obviously not. I have now added their "shredder" service too. so now for a couple of wasted hours clearing down this poor TOY manually.

Stoop, I did the full scan using custom and ticked all the boxes, after it has finished the scan the front screen shows nothing found, click on the "view report" note from image it states that nothing was found, yet the report states otherwise.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
LOz,

It seems you might have the new version and I have not. I have updated again today and it's still the old version. I know they are rolling it out in stages so maybe when I get it I will see what you are seeing.

However after my latest scan I have no tracking cookies showing or viruses. I've had a good look at the report and everything seems OK.

Cookie wise I tend to delete via firefox anyway but of course I do allow some to remain - so that the sites I want to remember me are able to do so.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
I deleted all cookies, the only one I am having problems with is now the Doubleclick.net, this one is a pain in the backside, I have gone through the registry and deleted, but it came back again, I had the same problem with Avast AVG and Norton, I may try spybot if all else fails.
I am running another scan to see what results I get this time now that I have been through all browsers, the scan is half way through, showing nothing found nothing fixed, should be interesting to see the report again.
doubleclick is still attached to firefox browser only, goes then returns, this is the one that is causing the tracking cookies. I have gone into the start menu and RUN, regit deleted the registry, rebooted and returned, anyone else have a idea for this one, windows 7.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »
Doubleclick is part of google and is the thing that puts relevant adverts on your screen. It wasn't in my cookie list but I have seen it before. I think you can opt out of it here

http://optout.doubleclick.net/dclk/optout-success.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:01:43 PM by stoop »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf