Author Topic: Jumping Cursor  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« on: April 27, 2011, 15:21:47 PM »
When typing in Word, email or on CBF I suddenly find that the letters are appearing three or more words before where I want, or they are appearing three or four lines up, on in the subject line, at the top of the page. As far as I know I have no keyboard shortcuts. Since I am a very poor typist and have to look at the keyboard I often don't notice that something is going wrong and then spend ages trying to find out where the hell things have gone. Twice in typing this little bit I have jumped to the bottom of the webpage where the exchange rate is posted.

Its driving me nuts. Can anyone offer help.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 15:24:38 PM »
Do you have a laptop?

I find this happens to me if my hand brushes the mousepad (touchpad) as I type. The best solution I found was to turn off the touchpad in settings and use a mouse instead. Alternatively turn down the sensitivity of the touchpad in the settings

Offline Eric

Jumping Cursor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 15:26:03 PM »
Have you changed your power lead (if you are using a laptop)? I found that if I used Fi's power lead on my laptop the induction field made my mouse jump around.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 15:40:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by redding43

Do you have a laptop?

I find this happens to me if my hand brushes the mousepad (touchpad) as I type. The best solution I found was to turn off the touchpad in settings and use a mouse instead. Alternatively turn down the sensitivity of the touchpad in the settings

That makes sense since words often break before/after t y g an h - i.e. in the middle of the keyboard (just done it in the middle of "the"). Could you now help me to turn off touchpad since Help doesn't offer me anything on this topic (nor mousepad).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 15:46:45 PM by Colwyn »

Offline ukchris

Jumping Cursor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 16:11:17 PM »
we would need to know the make and model of the laptop, some have a button/switch near the touchpad. Others you can turn off using software which usually runs in the taskbar near the clock at the bottom right. synaptics is one such piece of software.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 16:16:17 PM »
Dell XPS 1530

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 16:24:49 PM »
Hi Colwyn, I just done a quick google search for this and most are stating that on the taskbar (bottom right of your screen)there should be a touchpad icon (you may need to click on what looks like a white arrow that points to the left if you don't see the icon).

When found, move your mouse arrow over it and press the left hand mouse button twice (quickly). The options then appear for changing the settings (or disabling altogether)

Hope this helps

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
It seems that this is a well known problem. In principle it is easy to rectify. Simply go to the Touchpad Control Panel and tick the box that auromatically disables toucchpad when external mouse is plugged in. Unfortunately, I don't have Touchpad Control installed and have download software from Dell. I think I'll leave this until I return to UK for fear of losing what I've got. I was wondering if selotaping a piece of light card over touchpad might be an extremely inelegant but effective solution in the short term.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
I have had the same problem for ages (may have posted on here).

Drives me nuts.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Jumping Cursor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 13:06:29 PM »
I have a Dell (different model) in the task bar bottom right there is a grey box and when you touch the mouse pad a blue dot moves around the box. If you right click on the icon it gives you options to alter things.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf