Author Topic: 11g or 11n?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
11g or 11n?
« on: August 18, 2011, 14:19:28 PM »
Further to an idea given to me by another CBF member I may bring a Wireless Router with me capable of taking an internet dongle so I can have both my laptops online at the same time & not risk damaging the dongle when moving the laptop around. The company make 2 sorts, one for 11g & one for 11n:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers.htm

I've searched the Turkcell website but can't find reference to 11g or 11n anywhere, does anyone know what they use? Also is Vodafone the same?

TIA,

Mark.

Offline Eric

11g or 11n?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 14:44:59 PM »
We have both laptops online at the same time through a wireless router without using a dongle and have no problems.  Why are you wanting to pay for a dongle as well?

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
11g or 11n?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 14:48:28 PM »
To get the internet in the 1st place Eric as I don't plan on paying out for a landline & connection for my 8 month stay, Turkcell want a minimum of a 12 month contract!

Having done even more research I know understand that the difference is in the date the technology was introduced & the speed & as such all 11n routers will cog down to 11g if necessary so I have no fear which one I buy, phew, you can teach an old dog new tricks you know!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 15:33:01 PM by Supacabby »

Offline screamlead

11g or 11n?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 17:12:29 PM »
Not much difference apart from routers speed and range which may be ok in UK but wont do much here apart from 'cog' down as mark says to 54mbs which you will never get here anyway. Just means the 11n models can be hacked from a further distance too.
One thing to note about wireless is the fact they dont like concrete at all - you get low spots and high spots depending where the router is located. i.e the signals will go anywhere horizontally but hate going vertical through 4-6 inches of concrete. I have seen lots out here with intermittent connection and signal problems - but it may be down to ISP's rather than the routers - not done any specific testing as i dont use wireless where i am - dont trust the security. I have my own place completely hard wired with CAT V & 6 cable through a 23 port switch box.

Offline Eric

11g or 11n?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 18:12:36 PM »
Now I understand Supacabby. Regarding the concrete, its not the concrete thats a problem its all the steel inside it.  Radio waves do not like travelling through the mesh of steel in the walls and floors.  Saying that, we have had no problems with our wifi throughout the house which is positioned in the lounge.  Remember to have one antenna horizontal and one vertical to give 2 'donut' signal fields so you have maxium signal coverage throughout.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf