Author Topic: google translate has taken over  (Read 1465 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
google translate has taken over
« on: August 20, 2011, 17:06:11 PM »
Google translate has taken over my yahoo mail and it's driving me mad! Please advise if you can!

My yahoo now presents in Turkish so I have to use Google translate to get it to show everything in Enlish. As soon as I close the translate bar it all reverts back to Turkish. I have been in all my settings (also in Turkish) and can't seem to find a language option nor have I been able to add a location (UK) - well I have added London but it won't let me make it the default location.

To make matters worse it even translated some English in one of my received mails to it's own version of translated English.... and not very well I might add.

Please help if you can... :)

None of my other mail accounts are affected in this way.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 17:43:16 PM »
Check that your Yahoo account is .co.uk and NOT .com

Offline Firo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 18:22:08 PM »
Mine's .com and I've never had that problem?

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 19:36:43 PM »
I have the same problem with MSN which I downloaded in Indonesia ( and set up my hotmail account)

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 19:43:51 PM »
I don't think it's anything to do with Google Translate. It sounds instead that Yahoo is seeing that your Internet connection is in Turkey and so shows the page in Turkish. Check on the yahoo page for something to change back to English or try logging off, clearing your Internet history, going to yahoo.co.uk and log on again

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 19:51:15 PM »
Nichola - check in "YOUR ACCOUNT" that the language is selected correctly.

Have noticed over the last week that a few strange things have happened with my Yahoo and put it down to the recent revamps in Google Chrome.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 19:53:25 PM »
A quick google search suggests this solution:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090508051151AAYnEwa

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 21:16:10 PM »
Thank you - I have done it and I got there with your help  :)

First I cleared history and cookies.

For anyone else tying to find out how to access their Account settings its the the incy wincy tiny logo (looks like an explanation mark) next to your user name - it opens a new page so you have to sign in again and from there you can access your account settings.

Then you can access the change location which is now set to the UK - I am .com too so I have always had the Turkish news page etc but the mail has always been ok until now.

Anyway this seems to have worked... and these are the instructions I found through the Help Section

Yahoo! Mail's "Preferred Content" refers to the country / language setting can be changed by following the following steps:

Yahoo! Mail at the top of your page, Yahoo Mail click on the logo next to your username. A pop-up menu appears.
Account click.
A new window will open asking you to enter your password again. Yahoo! ID re-directed to your card.
Yahoo! ID on your card "Account Settings" Under the language, set time zone location and click on the link.
Regional Site and Language Click on the link next to, from there you can choose from the list of content meets your needs.
Save Click.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 21:17:36 PM by nichola »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf