Author Topic: lost desktop icons  (Read 1381 times)

Offline wickwilly

lost desktop icons
« on: September 06, 2011, 20:14:54 PM »
Switched on my desk top computer this morning to find that all of the icons on screen had disappeared as had the background wallpaper. All the shortcuts are still in C drive but I cant get them back onto screen. Did a few new screen savers and wallpaper but when I switched off computer and rebooted everything disappeared again. Help!!!

WW

Offline screamlead

lost desktop icons
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 21:59:20 PM »
You could try - right click anywhere on desktop - arrange icons by - make sure - show desk top icons is ticked.
If that does not work system restore should put everything back to normal - on XP that is - you didnt say what Op SYS you are using?
On XP open control panel - on left side is help and support tab - click that and look for system restore - then follow on screen prompts.

Offline wickwilly

lost desktop icons
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 16:32:11 PM »
Hi Screamlead. Tried the restore advice and ,whilst it did not go back to original desktop icons or wallpaper, it has now let me down load all the shortcuts and retain them on my desktop.
Many thanks for the advice.
WW

Offline screamlead

lost desktop icons
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 17:55:18 PM »
Glad you got them back - One of XP's quirks it will only put it back to the condition it was in when the snapshot for restore was done. So anything installed after that particular point in time will not show up, it may well still be on the hard drive but will only come back after a reinstall.
Also some early snapshots may have fallen off the edge so to speak as it wont keep all the restore points depending on how much disc space it was allocated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf