Author Topic: PayPal scam attempt.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
PayPal scam attempt.
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
I received an e mail this morning puporting to be from PayPal informing me that I had added an address to my account.I had not.
The address was 5 Birchdale Avenue,Bedfordshire,MK42 8NU,United Kingdom. No town or city.
The e mail had a link to my account and when I opened this I was invited to provide my full banking details and log on :).
I also saw that any reference to money on screen was in US dollars.
I checked my real PayPal account and found all in order.
I have informed PayPal and my bank(just in case) and my computer security has not been breached.
Anyone else received any of these e mails?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
PayPal scam attempt.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
Good news you spotted this before entering bank details... Will be on alert for similar. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
PayPal scam attempt.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 13:27:51 PM »
Similar one I received yesterday, not with address change but asking for me to visit the site and confirm my bank details. The notable thing was that we have moved a long way from the basic text email with dodgy English to scam emails that look totally professional and "paypal like". The link to the Paypal site obviously wasn't going there at all.

The best advice is that even when it looks genuine, when it comes to Paypal, banks and anything involving your personal and payment details, never click the link in the email - type the address into your browser manually and if there's really a problem with your account you'll see it soon enough.

Offline littlereddevil

PayPal scam attempt.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 15:07:07 PM »
I had a nice Indian man phone me yesterday to alert me to a problem with my computer. He was working on behalf of windows and someone had alerted them to a problem in my area. All I had to do was switch on my computer and type in whatever he said.
Just for a bit of fun I pretended to be doing everything he asked until the very last line when I kept saying "pardon?" He repeated it a few times and then hung up on me! How rude of him!

Offline happy_flyer

PayPal scam attempt.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 20:07:36 PM »
Ha ha good on you. I love doing that sort of thing to them as they phoned up its thier bill. My other favorite is to save the come ons for stuff that come through the door and put it in the envelope for another load of stuff so they get to have some of thier own medicine.After all they have paid for the postage ,may as well use it. i do feel a bit sorry for the poor sod that has to open it thinking its a link to someone they can get commission out of.Tough job huh lol

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

PayPal scam attempt.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »
We get the Indian phonecall from Microsoft a couple of times a month. No matter how abusive I am to them they keep phoning back. One said he would send me an email to prove he was from Microsoft but I must give him my email address. How stupid did he think i was.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf