Author Topic: computer soundcard  (Read 2155 times)

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
computer soundcard
« on: February 20, 2016, 20:57:21 PM »
Sound on my laptop only works periodically, which is a pain as I use it to watch British T/V.  Is getting the soundcard (or whatever the technically term is) replaced a big job likely to cost loads of lira, or is it even a practical option?  Advice would be much appreciated.

Offline philrose

Re: computer soundcard
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:36 AM »
Worth checking out that you have the correct/working/latest sound drivers for your laptop....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »
Laptop sound cards are, generally speaking, non replaceable - they're often an integral part of the motherboard.

Does the sound fluctuate when using the built in speakers or with external speakers?  If it's the latter then it may be the jack plus that's a bit worn and that could be replaceable.

Do you get a "crackle" at any time?  If so then it may be a loose connection from the sound card to the internal speakers/output jack which again is fixable.

Its worthwhile updating the drivers, but when its a sporadic fault like this it points to a hardware rather than software issue.

JF

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »
Thanks for replying John. From you say I think the laptop is a write-off for entertainment purposes.  Ah well, will have to put up with subtitles while I look around for an affordable replacement.  Much appreciate your help.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
Bit of a long shot but have you tried it with headphones? It could be the speakers that are the problem. Worth a try.

Offline rik

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 17:31:39 PM »
All good replies. I noticed you are local. If you would like to bring the laptop to the Yasemin Hotel in Calis on Thursday after 11.30, I'm back helping people with computer problems again. I can check it out for you.

Rick

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf