Author Topic: Driving on a UK Driving Licence  (Read 6998 times)

Offline kizkucuk

Driving on a UK Driving Licence
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »
Thanks starman - very useful info :-)  

Offline BM06

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
The DVLA site on international driving direct you to this AA and the RAC site, see Turkey ref: I,L  :o  can you post a link to that site Starman, I am know totally confused.:([:http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html#T)]

Offline starman™

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 15:15:23 PM »
Goto this webiste http://www.trafik.gov.tr/
click sss on left hand menu and look at number 7. Its in Turkish but clearly states that you dont need to change your license unless you become a Turkish citizen.

quote:
7. Yurtdisindan almis oldugum ehliyet, Türkiye'de geçerli midir? Degilse ne yapabilirim?

Türk vatandaslari ile ilgili kanunlar ve ikili ve çok tarafli anlasma hükümleri sakli kalmak üzere yabanci kisiler, dis ülkelerden alinmis, cinsi için geçerli sürücü belgeleri ile ülkemizde yabanci ve Türk plakali araçlari sürebilirler.

Ancak; turistler ve geçici bir süre için gelenler disinda herhangi bir is, hizmet veya egitim amaciyla ülkemizde bulunan yabancilarin ise konsolosluk veya noter tarafindan tercüme edilmis tasdikli Sürücü belgesi  örneklerini Sürücü belgesi  ile birlikte yanlarinda bulundurmalari mecburidir. Türk vatandaslari yurda kesin dönüslerinde, 1 yil içerisinde sürücü belgelerinin degistirmedikleri takdirde ,degistirinceye kadar araç kullanamazlar.

Offline BM06

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 15:41:10 PM »
From abroad have taken driver's license, valid in Turkey Is? If not, what can I do?

Turkish citizens with the relevant laws and bilateral and multilateral agreement without prejudice to the provisions of the foreign person, foreign from the country, type, valid driver's licenses in our country with foreign license plates and sürebilirler Turks.

However, tourists and those hoping for a temporary period of time is no exception, the consular service, or educational purposes on foreigners in our country, or translated by a notary public together with a certified driver's license to possess and maintain a driver's license is mandatory instances. Final return to Turkey of Turkish nationals, 1 year, if not change in the driver's documents, can not use until you change your vehicle.
 -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------Oh right, that makes it crystal clear :D:D thanks  ;)LMAO

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 16:05:36 PM »
This site may help with what you can and can't drive, B class, Otomobil, Minibus and Kamyonet!!!!

http://www.aydinsari.com.tr/ehliyet.htm

and in english sort of,

http://www.aydinsari.com.tr/eng/driving.htm
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 16:07:44 PM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 20:59:00 PM »
Reading this subject I realize that it might actually be true.

A couple of years ago, I had my car drivers licence changed into a Turkish one.
This was done at the same time that I had gotten my motor licence in Turkey.

I recall the policeman saying that normally when conversing a foreign licence into a Turkish one, he had to write the exception that I was not allowed to drive commercial vehicles. Since I had entered the A2 test, he said he was able to omit this sentence.

At the time, I didn't think it was important (and I had completely forgotten it) but it was useful since I'm actually driving a Dacia Logan MCV.

Maybe members with Turkish licences can check the wording on their licence?

By the way, a 5 seater Dacia Logan is not classified as a ticari arac (commercial vehicle).
edit: oops, was supposed to write that it is classified as a ticari arac.

For that reason the maximum speed limit is also lower than with a regular car.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:50:57 AM by Dutchie »

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 21:07:49 PM »
@Starman, it doesn't clearly state that you don't have to change your license.

It makes an exception for tourists and persons who are staying in Turkey on a temporarily basis.
It doesn't say anything about foreigners staying long term in Turkey.

The rule is that a foreign license is valid for six months. After six months you need to get it changed.

Offline starman™

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
Where do you get the 6 months figure from. First I have heard of it.
Like I said, been on UK license for 20 years, and know many others here who have done the same and NEVER had a problem. Out of the 100's of expats I know myself, only 1 has got a Turkish license and that was because it was easier for him as he drives around a lot around the oil fields in Batman and easy for the local jandarme to understand.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
Can't really say where I've got the knowledge from. I just know it :-)

Most policemen are not aware of the rule but you might get problems with your insurance company in case of an accident.

If you have been in Turkey longer than six months, your licese is not valid.
Since many people are/were doing the Rhodes trips, they probably leave the country on a regular basis so it won't apply to them.

I've had mine changed several years ago since I don't leave very often.

I was under the impression that I had also read it on this forum as well but I can't remember exactly where.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Here it is: {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}43142&whichpage=1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf