Author Topic: Updated advise from the FCO  (Read 4531 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Updated advise from the FCO
« on: March 17, 2016, 19:30:44 PM »
The FCO have today updated their advise to travellers to Turkey.

A new sentence has now been added:

Terrorist groups, including Daesh and the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), have publicly threatened to attack tourist sites in Turkey.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Offline Stuart T

Re: Updated advise from the FCO
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 20:04:44 PM »
What awful news.

Not easy to get my thoughts in order, really.

We've already chosen to go to Cyprus for the main holiday this year but that was chiefly because of the uncertainty of getting the Dalaman flights we wanted.

The terrorism element wasn't the determining cause - goodness knows, there's no wholly safe place anywhere.

This news seems so focused on the SW region that it has to be a real cause for re- consideration for many.

I have a very concerned expression on my face for friends traveling to Calis/Fethiye/Olu Deniz etc.

Plus - more holiday reservations being cancelled means more flights being cancelled.

b*****ds...targeting civilians.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 20:41:24 PM »
Can see that it focuses on SW Turkey and also asserts

"Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free".

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 21:36:00 PM »
I wonder what the British visitor figures will be for 2016.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:57:17 AM »
I would not want to devalue this advice in any way whatsoever but from what I read it does say "western interests" not specifically the south west region. Also this is also worth noting to put things in perspective - we live in dangerous times:

BELGIUM

There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including on public transport and transport hubs and in other places visited by foreigners.

Brussels hosts a number of international institutions (EU and NATO) and government and foreign embassy buildings which are sensitive locations.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time

Offline pops

• Craig
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
Don't know if this is directly related to this topic but this morning I've done a search on the Thomson website for my sister-in-law. It may just be a website glitch but for the dates that we travel, (Bristol/October) Thomson are now only showing 13 holidays for THE WHOLE OF TURKEY????? Wos all that about eh? All are either AI or Half Board......all SC holidays are coming up as "All Gone"

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
 The US has upgraded its travel warnings for Turkey in the light of recent events and the up coming Nevruz celebrations.

I,ve just watched an American national, Mohamid Khweis, being interviewed on Kurdistan TV, describing how he left the

US to join ISIL in Syria and was prepared to do all their sadistic bidding but was barred from smoking (unhealthy,??) so

he surrendered to the Western Coalition.  Just one example of the crazy b###ards that are disrupting peoples lifestyles

and holiday plans.

He'll be banned from returning to the US so he'll probably end up in the UK as an asylum seeker.           >:(

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
"There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/terrorism

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 15:46:08 PM »
Stoop - if you see my post above that is precisely the same wording at the end of the advice for Belgium and I suspect many other countries. I was exchanging messages with a good friend last night who was just flying home from Brussels as he works there 3 days a week and has done for 20 years.
He also has a Villa in Dalyan - clearly he has to remain alert as we all do at times like this but he will not be giving up his job or his villa based on his assessment of both situations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf