Author Topic: Caching Issue  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Nikos

« on: November 30, 2005, 14:38:27 PM »
I've just started seeing a problem with the forum site using MS IE.  I can't see all replies to a post unless I press control refresh I suspected this might have a caching issue so I spoofed a request to the site and got this response:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:27:19 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Cache-Control: private
Connection: close
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
MicrosoftOfficeWebServer: 5.0_Pub
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET

There are no cache control directives saying how long (if at all) the response should be cached.  This causes problems because the length of time the content is cached is left up to the client and IE is getting it wrong.  Generally for dynamic content (like ASP), caching should be explicitly turned off.  I'm not familiar with IIS, but I suspect there is an option to do this - maybe someone else can help.

Cheers
Nick

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Caching Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 16:55:28 PM »
Nick, I am having no issues with the Forum and have used is extensively on various IE browsers and PC's

This is probably telling Granny how to suck eggs but have you checked your settings in IE to automatically refresh the page on each visit?

I suspect the forum owner (Scunner) may struggle to get the host to make changes to IIS as it is usual that the site is in a shared environment

Steve

Offline Nikos

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 17:31:15 PM »
Thanks Steve, I've tried that with no luck.  Caching's the bane of my life at work and it can be really difficult to get right.  The trouble is you'll get diiferent results depending upon your, browser type, browser version, ISP and proxy etc etc.  Oddly enough, it's always been fine, stopped working, now seems to be working again!  

Didn't life used to be simpler before computers?

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Caching Issue
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 17:50:13 PM »
I'd be out of a job if that was the case

Offline Nikos

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 18:07:51 PM »
Dippey, get back in the kitchen.   :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf