Author Topic: cccccccccccc  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
cccccccccccc
« on: December 12, 2012, 14:27:23 PM »
No sooner had I fixed my laptop than Hilary handed over hers: "Problem". The c key repeats the character any number of times until you press another key - not any other key, it can't be the x,v or space bar. I assumed this would be a mechanical problem but I have removed the cap of the key and cleaned underneath, with no sign of anything sticking and it still doesn't work. Is there any other possibility (I have checked keyboard setting in Ease of Access).

I'm starting to think it's not my week. The next thing that happened is that my eye operation - due on Friday - got cancelled. For the second time! I won't be seeing in the New Year, well not through my left eye anyway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 14:41:43 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Stan

Re: cccccccccccc
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 16:27:49 PM »
Perhaps use "c " cleaner as Supacabby suggested in the other computer problem post .    ;)  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 16:51:35 PM »
Swine.

UPDATE. Curiouser and curiouser. Hilary now reports that SHIFT + c gives a single capital. But CAP LOCK + c gives a string of capitals.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 17:29:12 PM by Colwyn »

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 21:59:19 PM »
Colwyn i had this some time back on a wireless Keyboard changing the batteries helped but then it would start again in a few days as the keyboard drained  the batteries down in the end i borrowed another key board from a friend and it worked fine. new keyboard was the Answer for me

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 17:09:34 PM »
Danky - it's a laptop.   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
Well the ccccccccccc problem is sorted. Hilary took the laptop into the IT Repair Shop and the guy there couldn't replicate problem so gave it back to us untouched. Perhaps it is like taking a car into the garage with a persistent mysterious rattle which disappears the minute you put wheels on the forecourt. Or perhaps it was the little squirt of WD40 I gave it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 14:40:45 PM »
Well that didn't last long. Back on its home territory it has gone completely nuts. Refused to connect to the wi-fi, pressing any of the central keys sets off multiple "c"s and initiating shut down sets off a machine-gun barrage of tantrums. It will now be exiled and stored until the new year.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 15:25:08 PM »
In the end we had to go for the Danky solution and take it to the IT shop to have a new keyboard fitted. To our surprise this only cost £30 parts and labour including VAT.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf