Author Topic: Referendum looking tight, or is it?  (Read 7741 times)

Offline Dutchie

Re: Referendum looking tight, or is it?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
So so sad - on the BBC news last night - the reporter was in Istanbul - near Gezi Park and said something like:

"usually we would have expected to see demonstrations here (from the opposition NO campaigners) - but those people are wary and  have had the stuffing knocked out of them - we will likely see people who can leave - leaving the country to go to the West - to wait, watch and plan for the future"

Offline yabanci

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
Mugla as a whole voted 69.3% no and 30.7% yes. Fethiye voted 64.7% no and 35.3% yes.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
"usually we would have expected to see demonstrations here (from the opposition NO campaigners) - but those people are wary and  have had the stuffing knocked out of them - we will likely see people who can leave - leaving the country to go to the West - to wait, watch and plan for the future"

It was Taksim Square and it had been blocked off by the Polis earlier in the evening.  Those who can are already leaving or have left - mainly the educated and the better off.  The UK and Germany appear to be the top choices and I personally know several folks (in Istanbul and Ankara) who have contingency plans in place to get out.  I also know many who are already out - Cambridgeshire seems to be a popular destination for some reason!

Turkey is facing brain drain

Turkey's post-coup brain drain

Even the pro government media are aware of what is happening hence:

Turkish scientists flocking back home to reverse brain drain

In a nutshell, this article effectively admits they're having to bribe scientists to come back to Turkey.  Well, at least that's better than having them extradited!

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
If the AKP wants more scientists and other academics in Turkish society it could try letting them out of prison.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 13:13:29 PM »
Report from the Olu Deniz school on yabanci voters.
Some may recognise the lady in the photo - and Kathy's new middle name is quite appropriate.

http://www.sondakika.com/haber/haber-fethiye-de-yerlesik-yabancilar-sandik-basina-gitti-9506220/

and a video:

http://m.haberler.com/mugla-fethiye-de-yerlesik-yabancilar-sandik-basina-9506110-haberi/

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 13:35:14 PM »
Methol, This is Kathy and Bayram from Goldfinger,  Can you let us know briefly what they are saying.  I am assuming they were voting YES? 
Is this correct?
I thought she was Kathy Joan Salaman, has she changed her name?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 18:12:03 PM »
Ha Ha,  Just read Kathy Loon....very funny. They must have got the Joan spelling wrong.  However, in my part of the world a Loon is a man an a Quine a woman.
I now understand she and he have voted Yes. 
I know Kathy has moved to England as they are educating their daughter over there, she just comes home for holidays.  Seems like she came at the right time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf