Author Topic: Trip to Istanbul  (Read 6064 times)

Offline starman™

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 13:02:02 PM »
I have only ever used SAW once, although a nice airport without the huge masses like Ataturk has, I would still prefer Ataturk as its only 25 mins away from me and dont have to use the bridges which are car parks at the best of times.

Offline johntaylor49

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 19:08:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by starmanTM

I have only ever used SAW once, although a nice airport without the huge masses like Ataturk has, I would still prefer Ataturk as its only 25 mins away from me and dont have to use the bridges which are car parks at the best of times.

SAW to Sultanahmet -- took 2.5 hours! Ok coming back an hour but even so!!!

Such a shame you cant easily do it by train any more, from Denizli on the sleeper -- but dont think that line will ever open again!

Meldrew

Offline starman™

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 06:51:19 AM »
The train service is down as they are making heavy investments in the rail sector at the moment and installing high speed lines so dont write it off for the future just yet.

Offline johntaylor49

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »
Yeah, I know but it is mainly Istanbul-Ankara and points east and south east. The old Southern Route was a tortuous twisting and turning track after Pammukale designed by German engineers in
1800's. (Turks think they were paid by the mile  :).

Trouble is with the earthquake fault lines and the mountainous terrain the line would be hard to re-open there have been that many landslides and collapses that it would need a new route along the coast and I gather in Ankara they dont fell it could be justified.

Lets see

Meldrew

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf