Author Topic: Jewellry repairs  (Read 2760 times)

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Jewellry repairs
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
Hi all,

I bought a ring from a gold shop in fethiye, Meyri Gold, and one of the diamonds have fallen out. I have had it less than 2 years and it cost almost £200. If i take it back the next time i come over, do you think they'll repair it without charge? Myself and my family have given them a fair amount of business so they remember us well but having only had it for such a short amount of time i don't think i should have to pay.. or am i being unreasonable?

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved...

Thankyou

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »
I would definitely ask them to, I don't know the shop in question. If they say no tell them you will take your business elsewhere, these days I don't think they could afford to loose any business. I think they will probably do it for you FOC.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
My husband bought a bracelet for me at Dikmen's in Fethiye.  The next year we came over with my son and his girlfriend. My son took a piece of his own damaged jewellery in and they offered to repair it for him, even said they would have it ready in 1 hour. We went back next day and there was no charge..
However, if you don't get anywhere with your Jeweller, try your insurance policy.  Most household policies cover jewellery, although you may have to a penalty.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:47 AM »
Score a penalty? Pay a penalty ?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:13:40 AM by KKOB »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
Pay a penalty, typing too fast for my own good... was 70 w.p.m. at Commercial College.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
I can do 140 wpm but only a Klingon can read it !  ;):D ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:39:34 PM by KKOB »

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Jewellry repairs
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
Cheers guys,

Its the shop opposite Bananas. I have no idea where it dropped out so it would need replacing, i just looked down and saw that it was missing, i'm gutted.

I wasn't sure if they were obliged to or if it was at their discression. Myself and my family have spent a fair amount of money in there between us but they got the hump the last time i was over because i went to another shop (the big one on the corner down from Car cemetery) to have a ring made.

Also, if they replaced the stone, where would be the best place to have the ring checked?. I'm just a bit worried after how they were with me last time that they'll replace it with a cubic or something..

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
To check if a stone is real you need a diamond tester, which all Jewellers have.  It works by placing the end of the tester on the stone and if it's real a buzzer sounds.  Ask the Jeweller to use the stone tester on your ring.   Alternatively, if you have used another Jeweller in the past and are on good terms with them, get them to test it.  
I was offered one of these testers second hand by a friend in the Antique Jewellery business, he wanted £70.00 for it, but as I don't really deal much in jewellery I turned him down. I had seen him use it many times and know how accurate they are.
Jacqui.

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Jewellry repairs
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 16:42:29 PM »
thanks jacqui

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Jewellry repairs
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 23:58:28 PM »
Isn't the diamond covered by your insurance? I wouldn't have thought that the jewellers would have replaced that FOC.

The diamond came out of my ring a couple of years back, luckily I found it on the bathroom floor. I took it to Dikmens, they cleaned the whole lot & replaced all the claws in white gold, it cost around £20.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf