Author Topic: Veggie!  (Read 3579 times)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Veggie!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 22:02:34 PM »
i recently tried the quorn burgers and mince yuk.

Offline peter16

Veggie!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 22:29:07 PM »
just point to the dish you might want then ask, Et var mi? (Et va muh) is there meat?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Veggie!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 22:40:03 PM »
Do restaurants that sell vegetarian meals not speak English then? :D

Anyway, I have met many vegetarians who had just arrived in Turkey for the first time, and very nervous about what bland rubbish they'll be served up. All that I recall were amazed at the variety and flavours of the vegetable dishes. As am I, any country that can make a starter out of courgettes that is actually nice deserves great praise  ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Veggie!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 22:46:15 PM »
We took my daughter to the Sat and explained she did not eat meat, no problem she would get a vegetable casserole type dish.  It arrived and my daughter started to eat it only to find it full of bits of meat!!
Incidentally, she hates courgettes, as she says every time she goes anywhere and asked for a non meat menu, she is always offered courgettes baked, fried, casseroled, you name it.

Offline valleyboy

Veggie!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »
As I have stated earlier and I re-iterate being a vegetarian in Turkey is not a problem or a chore it is a pleasure, I find apart from the wonderful selection of fresh vegetables, fruits, pulses etc., for sale in local shops and markets, the restaurants and locantas are more than helpful, I've even been invited into kitchens to see how meals are prepared and speak to the chefs.

Most locantas have the food on display in ranges (the Megri locanta in Fethiye I find is one of the best), with a mouthwatering display of dishes suitable for vegetarians.

If all else fails you also have the great standards, delicious salads, pide, jacket potatoes, omlettes etc.

Offline smilingeyes

Veggie!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 13:04:38 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian, but my two friends are, so we rarely eat meat dishes in Turkey, it isn't a problem.  As others have said, the fruit and veg here is amazing.  If you have facilities to prepare meals, take a trip to the friday market in Fethiye, you'll find local people selling fresh produce that has probably only left the tree/ground that morning.  You'll never want to eat UK supermarket *fresh* veggies again!!!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Veggie!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 13:23:11 PM »
I didn't know you could get fresh veggies in the UK. I thought everything was vacuum packed and stored for months only to rot within about 2 days of purchase once you got it home. It's no wonder they don't taste very nice...  :)

Offline scottishcouple

Veggie!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 14:51:56 PM »
I also don't really like vegetables but love Quorn products like their Lasagne/Cottage pies, anyway why not take out Batchelors Beanfeast  Meals (packets of dried soya mince, with flavouring) 2 flavours chilli or spaghetti bolognese or just take out a bag of dried soya mince and make your own.You wouldn't have to worry about keeping them cool when you fly out.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 15:02:06 PM by scottishcouple »

Offline dreamon

Veggie!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 16:19:54 PM »
Pass the vomit bucket : :)

Offline reggie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 20:33:34 PM »
Each to there own :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf