Author Topic: Several Questions if I may..  (Read 14675 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Several Questions if I may..
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 22:00:36 PM »
Something that is unaffected by inflation I can share for your living in Turkey calculations is...

Budget for all the unexpected things you didn't budget for. Seriously.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 22:06:24 PM »

Thanks Pumait does, Is the pool on a complex open all year or just in the summer months? Are complexs open all year, or just in holiday season?

Thanks

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 22:08:37 PM »

Thanks Jim, just a ball park figure, if you dont mind me putting you on the spot. For a couple, no car, rental property, one smoker, like market food, but eat out occasionaly with all bills thrown in how much per month do you think we should budget for?

Appreciate the advice.

Thats hard - take rental alone that can be anywhere from a couple of hundred lira to skies the limit.
We have a car, no rental costs, both smoke, have 2 cats and a dog, eat out occasionally and spend roughly 400 Tl cash a week (water & Leccy are by DB so need to be added) with of course the yearly additions of insurances, taxes etc etc, so unless you get someone with near identical lifestyle then any estimates may be wildly wrong - but its a good way to start the planning.
  There is also the fact I am a tight Scotsman so every Kuruş is a prisoner.

Just saw Scunners reply - oh yes, they come under my Etc etc section.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 22:09:56 PM »
Thanks scunner, going to gather as much info as I can and hopefully make a comprehensive list, then ask what I missed!!

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 22:14:50 PM »

Thanks Jim, at least I will start getting an idea and appreciate you sharing.

I have just got my head around the duplex villa thing, and now have to work out about complexs! We are still undecided with renting/buying.

Bernie

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 22:15:42 PM »
I would also say that Rimm's decision not to buy a car (and they aren't cheap like the UK!) but to hire one for the few times a year you need to have a car is excellent advice. If you are retired, you shouldn't need the expense perhaps.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 22:20:15 PM »
Simply for slikmrs benefit, would people who know, offer advice on the weighting of running costs against interest rates, inflation, health care costs etc.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 22:50:11 PM »
Thanks highlander thats really kind of you.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Several Questions if I may..
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
When we bought the house here (11years ago) we were very tempted to  'Stretch' ourselves on the basis that rental income would help with the repayment of the loan we took on to buy the property, at that time it looked a perfectly sensible thing to do, most holidaymakers here used hotels, flights were cheap and the option to take your holiday in a house with use of a lovely big pool set in a private communal garden was quite attractive. Through either good luck or good management we resisted the temptation and bought well within our means at that time, that decision turned out to be immense. As the years past, building boomed and literally thousands of properties for holiday rental became available, in recent years we would not have been able to let our house out enough to make any profit and if depending on that income, we would have found ourselves in trouble.

So to my one piece of advice, please, if you are planning to retire here, try and make your plan where you don't rely on bank interest but view it as a bonus, I know that is easy to say and it's not easy to do and may delay your move for some years, but it could be the one decision that can make or break your retirement.

The line Scunner used about budgeting for the unexpected is spot on, before we came here last year we spent £16,000 on refurbishing the house, yet in the last year we have faced the following unexpected issues :

Leaks in Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom, pipes in our house are buried into the walls, so on each occasion it has meant digging up walls and floors to locate the leak.

Leaks to the balcony roof we use as a conservatory, new roof installed.

Solar water tank burst, new tank installed.

Immersion water heater failed and replaced.

Wooden floors damaged by the builder (he disputes) replaced with laminate.

An A4 page of snagging jobs, again disputed but sorted out and paid for by us.

The days of getting a tradesman into your home and jobs done for 'buttons' are long gone here, the above cost us a lot of money and never figured in any budget plans we prepared.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
On the other hand.

Winter electricity per month is between 300 to 350. Mainly because of the emersion heater on for a couple of hours per day. Water at around 200 per year. 130 for house tax this month, Insurance around 130 tl.
Electricity in summer can be as little as 100 tl (we have two freezers and 2 fridges. But goes up if you use AC.
(We onlly use AC in July / August in the evening for two hours)
On the other side we go to the Friday veg market at around 5 in the evening and get a weeks veg and some fruit for less than 20 TL. One kilo of beef roast from Migross, 27 TL.( we get half minced and devide the rest up into 4 steaks.)
If you like bacon then around 47 tl for a big packet, this devides into ten packs of 4 rashers each.
Beer in cans around 4.75, or cheaper in cases (bottles) and we get a drinkable white wine (when very cold) at 15.5 tl for 1.5 ltr. (KUP)

About once per week we go down to the front (Fethiye) have a couple of beers/wines and a pide. Always less than 100tl.

Don't need a car but as Keith say's, I would just rent per day.

This winter we spent 1000 tl on logs for our sobre. (It was on 24/7 for nearly 3 months as Jackie wasn't feeling good)

Hope this helps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf