Author Topic: Mobile phones  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Patty

• Poster
Mobile phones
« on: February 01, 2004, 09:34:52 AM »
Which mobile phones can take a turkish simm card.
Whats the policy on using the phone for so long before they cut you off if you don't use it.

Regards
Patty

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
Mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 17:34:35 PM »
Hi 'senior' Patty,
As I knew I would be a frequent visitor and with property to sort, I took the easy option lol and I invested in a £80 motorola pay as you talk turkish mobile.
Its been brilliant, worth every penny, and the top up cards that I purchase last me a long time - I never tried the simm card in my existing phone, although I knew you could do this....

Scarey

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Mobile phones
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 17:44:03 PM »
I have used my Nokia phone with Turkish sim card in and it worked fine, in fact we left a nokia phone in our villa for people coming out to use as long as they top up the card

Ron

Offline Patty

• Poster
Mobile phones
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:22:18 AM »
So if i bring a Nokia phone over i can fit a turkish simm card in and all will be ok.
Charge at turkish rates

Patty

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 09:57:53 AM »
You need an 'unlocked' phone, i.e. not locked to work on a single UK network. Phones in the UK are heavily discounted in order to get your subscription business and often the provider will ensure that the phone they supply you won't work on anyone elses network (for example you take out a contract with Orange, and they ensure T-mobile sim cards won't be useable in it).

To find out whether your phone is locked, take your sim card out and put someone elses in (someone else who is with a different provider to you). If the phone works, it's unlocked and will work in Turkey with a Turkish sim card, if it doesn't it will not.

If it doesn't you have thhe option to get it unlocked for a small fee, there is always a man at your local sunday market/car boot sale who will do the job for you.

One last thing - phones have to be "dual-band" to work in Turkey - most are but you can check which ones are at www.orange.com

Scunner

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Mobile phones
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 16:52:17 PM »
If you have a nokia phone that is on Vodaphone 9 times out of 10 its unlocked all mine have been, the one at my villa is my old contract phone that i updated, takes Turkish sim no probs

Ron

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf