Author Topic: Crap Broadband  (Read 9292 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Crap Broadband
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Your post was interesting Bewva we to are with Sky and sometimes we can lose the internet for up to a day and a half it seems to be happening more of late, when we contact Sky they just say the signal is weak where we are... could be time for a change I think   :)
does anyone know how to check what speed we are getting here in the UK?

I'm with Virgin and just did that speed checker thingy - we've got 25.88 mb/s download and 2.73 mb/s upload - I think that's good.....?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
Well it depends what speed you are actually paying for - but the internet is no slouch at those speeds  :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
Well, it's up to 60mb but that's a freebie - I only pay for their medium package so am quite happy.
I think unless you want all the major sports and movies, you can get a decent package to include broadband, phone (some free landline calls) and Tivo for around £60.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
Anorak

What has this thread got to do with rainy weather atire?   ;)

Next thing Keith you will be off on a tangent making it into a charity thread.   ;)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
I would be more than happy with half of your speed Bluewise.
Apparently because I live so far (3.75 miles) from our exchange I cant get any faster than I have now.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 13:29:49 PM »
I would be more than happy with half of your speed Bluewise.
Apparently because I live so far (3.75 miles) from our exchange I cant get any faster than I have now.
That's exactly what our problem was with BT broadband several years ago and I think Sky use their lines don't they?   I can recommend Virgin for service and they have some good new customer offers.  May be worth considering if your area is cabled?  You can check on their website if it is there or planned for near future.  One thing I didn't get on with when they upgraded our speed was their new super hub - it messed around dropping the wireless connection off and on for a while until they sent an engineer out (no charge) and touching wood, it's been excellent since. 
I don't download much from t'interweb, just the very occasional movie/book/music from iTunes -  but it is really fast when I do and as for general surfing, well the page is there in an instant.  It could be a combination of the connection and my highly treasured iMac/macbook (recent convert) that make it fast, I don't know 'cos I'm not a bit techy. 

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 14:03:53 PM »
Unfortunately we have no cable. :(  When they built our estate 20 years ago and the roads and pavements weren't laid the cable company were too busy digging up established roads and pavements to lay cable for them on the next estate to us.
You couldn't make it up.   :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 17:07:32 PM »
Thanks very much for all the info, I will do the test later, we have been thinking of changing to Virgin for a while now so may look further into it  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 17:12:52 PM »
I'm very happy with Virgin Karen, very reliable - if you decide to go with them sign up for Quidco - you can get serious money in cashback

www.quidco.com

I'll check and let you know how much cashback they are offering for a new customer

Update: If you take their broadband, telephone and tv you get £76 cashback just for going to the Virgin Media site from their (Quidco) site - why not  :)

And If you make a fiver or more in cashback, I get £2.50 - what's not to like  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
That looks fab will check it out later and speak to MrKarennina, he is exactly the same as Bewva when our Sky goes down reluctant to phone them as just hates having to use his precious time doing all the checks they ask you  to do  :( thanks very much Keith   :)think it is time for a change.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf