Author Topic: Income tax  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Income tax
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
Do ex-pat retirees have to pay tax on their pension and investment incomes in Turkey ?
If so, what is the threshold and tax rate ?

Also, does the bank deposit interest rate apply from the day you arrive or is there a qualification period ?
(i.e. do you have to have residency before you can open an account - how long does this take ?)

TIA

Offline tonysue

Re: Income tax
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
you need a tax number to open a bank account as tax is deducted at source from any interest you accrue at 20per cent. you can get a tax number without residency, your passport with 2 copies at the tax office in Fethiye will be enough. If you are still resident in the uk then you should also declare to the uk tax any earnings from overseas earnings. Somebody else will be able to advise re threasholds but I dont think there are any on interest from investments.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 13:03:25 PM »
So am I right in thinking that the 9(ish)% bank interest rates referred
to on this forum are after the 20% tax has been deducted ?

Offline tonysue

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 16:16:39 PM »
before, I think

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 17:33:20 PM »
The bank interest rate of 9ish% is per year.  In order to work out your turkish tax paid it is  (investment) x (interest rate) x period (as proportion of a year) giving net profit; the bank will take 20% of that profit as tax.  It works with my repo account beautifully

Offline grahamturner09

Income tax
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 19:58:51 PM »
As far as I am aware the Turkish government do not tax pensioners so if you are resident and registered to pay Turkish tax you then get the UK pension tax free

Offline grizabella

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 20:02:33 PM »
You need the necessary forms from HMRC in the Uk to request you pay the tax on your pensions in Turkey.Once filled you nedd the local Muhtar to sign and stamp the forms before returning them to the Uk.Any back tax will be refunded but not on any Local Government or Forces pensions.The tax rate for pensions in Turkey is 0%.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »
As far as I am aware the Turkish government do not tax pensioners so if you are resident and registered to pay Turkish tax you then get the UK pension tax free

The Turkish tax rate for pensions is 0% but at that rate nobodys going to come knocking on your door if you do not put in a tax return. In order to get your UK state pension paid gross you need as has been said to make an application to HMRC.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 19:44:26 PM »
If hubby was to retire this year or next and we applied for residency in Turkey would that then mean he could have his pension paid in to the bank without having to pay tax? thanks for any replies  :)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Income tax
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 20:11:20 PM »
I'm not sure about state pension as I'm still to young to receive that (really) but I have two occupational pensions, one of my pension providers won't pay into a foreign account and so I have no option than to be taxed at source in the UK. The other pension is paid into a bank here but only after being taxed at source in the UK and I have to pay a transfer fee each month. Apparently, I need forms translated and signed by the tax office here to apply to have my pension payed gross. I hear people have done it but it doesn't seem to be the most popular thing to do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf