Author Topic: Exchange Rate  (Read 6191 times)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Exchange Rate
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 20:31:10 PM »
 :)we have had the best exchange rate from a restaurant, as we never had any lira on us, they looked the rate up in the paper and it was better than everyone else was giving. worth a try. ;)

Offline woody

Exchange Rate
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 23:01:44 PM »
Hi Sunlover
I agree, I have also used this jeweller now for some years and have always found him to be offering the correct exchange rate and will continue to do so as long as he remains competitive.

john

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Exchange Rate
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 23:10:12 PM »
We don't carry a lot of readies to change. We use Nationwide Flex Debit card at ATMs and draw in Lira straight from UK account. The exchange rate is as good if not better than most. On the odd occasion that we do change sterling we use the aforementioned jewellers or the guy at the icecream parlour on the prom.
Ken :D :D

Offline june

Exchange Rate
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »
We do exactly the same Ken and always been good.

June :)

Offline GrantT

Exchange Rate
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
I always use the guy in the clothes shop, but after reading posts on here, make sure I count it back in front of him. Never had any problems.

Offline milorni

Exchange Rate
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
We always use the "Trainee Millionaire" and he always gives us a calculator to check the amounts and asks us to count back the money in front of him. Never had any problems and always get a good rate. Maybe he is used to seeing us and we have often changed large amounts.

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
Exchange Rate
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
I found the bloke who operates out of a shed at the Mado ice cream shop on the sea front to be very reliable and give a consistantly good rate of exchange.

Offline johnc

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 13:05:18 PM »
Be very careful with the guy outside the clothes shop - he is very cunning. he knows that when you first change money there you will take care to check, and so he makes sure that he gives you the correct amount the first few times. However, he also knows that once he has 'proved' how honest he is - hence the use of a calculator, he knows you will be more relaxed, and then he will look for an opportunity for 'the sting' usually when the calculation is complicated - beware especially is he asks you for a small amount of lira. I almost got caught out, despite the fact that my day job is teaching  statistics! When I challenged him he tried to fob me off, but I stood my ground, the smiles disappeared, face became red, and he got very angry. Eventually he gave in and threw the amount he tried to cheat me out of on the counter. Now he gives me a wary look when I walk past...

Offline julesbob0303

Exchange Rate
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 16:23:29 PM »
Yes, he diddled us out of 10 lira - we thought he was "rounding up" and it made it easier for him with the bigger notes.  I can't believe he ripped us off - we are both intelligent people, but changed a large amount of money at the same time.  I was so fed up for the rest of the day when I realised what he had done.  They've lost a fair bit of business at that clothes shop though - me and my three daughters will never buy anything in there again (we have already spent quite a lot of money in there in the past) and hubby had bought shoes from there.  Never again!

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Exchange Rate
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 17:42:24 PM »
 :)Tired of telling Kenny that the man is a sheister, he wont have it.next time out i'll make sure we just use the ATMs. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf