Author Topic: The not so nice side of Calis  (Read 10683 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The not so nice side of Calis
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »
On Friday evening my friend arrived in Calis with her sixteen year old daughter and her 70(ish) year old Mum.  It is her Mum's first visit to Turkey but unfortunately she hasn't received the typical Turkish hospitality we all know and love.  After spending a lovely evening in Joseph's Bar they were followed home to Poppy apartments by a man on a bike.  On nearing the apartments he began to circle them, on his bike demanding 60 euros.  She told him where to get off and luckily managed to get inside the complex in one piece.  The lady who runs the complex told them that she had heard of this happening recently and thought the culprit had been caught.  She immediately called the police and reported the incident for them.  They are still waiting for anyone to arrive:(.

Last night , well early hours of this morning really, Billy and I were sitting in Ali's Bar with Loz and Gordon when a fight broke out in Maria's Bar.  It was closed up for the night but the girls who sell the roses were sitting there as usual.  Three of them decided to give another one a right good slapping.  The polis arrived within seconds, they must've been just down the street.  Did the take the culprits into custody?  Did they hell, allowed them to run off, even though everyone was pointing them out.  The poor girl who was the vicitim got a ride instead.  I must admit though she could get a star part in the next blockbuster she milked it so well.

After saying our goodbyes Billy and I set off up Baris Manco, talking all the while about both incidents and how in the eight years we've been coming here we'd never witnessed any violence, been followed, or in fact had any cause for concern although we always heeded any warning to be vigilant etc that we read on here.  That was about to change. 

Just as we were crossing the road at the Akdeniz restaurant we heard a couple of motor bikes roaring up behind us but never paid attention as we're used to them speeding on by.  Suddenly I heard a really loud pop and I do mean loud.  Out of the corner of my eye I seen something flying past my face.  Just a glimpse it was so fast but there all the same.   Turning to Billy to say 'What on earth was that?' I found him ashen faced, trying to catch his breath and reaching to get his arm up his back, feeling around as far as he could.  Something had hit him square between the shoulder blades.  We crossed over and went into PJ's to have a look and thankfully found he'd been pelted with an egg but for that split second my heart was in my mouth.  Just at that, Adam (shoeshine) came in.  We'd not noticed him following closely at our back on the road up.  He'd also been hit, just below his ear.  He was shocked too but bless him more concerned for Billy.   Eventually we carried on home.  Billy said he'd never have believed an egg could cause so much pain but when we got into the apartment and I'd a closer look you could still see the imprint of the shell where it had broken with force against his skin.  Unbelievable!!!! 

So, in the space of just over twenty four hours, three seperate incidents have tarnished my rose tinted specs :o

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
The not so nice side of Calis
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »
Anne, that's terrible, hope your OK this morning.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The not so nice side of Calis
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:37:54 AM »
I was really looking forward to going later today :( Will have to make sure we are on out guard I guess.

Hope Billy is OK and everyone else involved.

Stu

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »
Bloody hell Anne what time did this take place. Brian, Nigel and I were in PJ's til 2ish. Funnily enough there was a Turkish party at Akdeniz with the drums and squeaky pipe thingy blaring all night and people dancing their socks off. PJ's karaoke had to be inside all night as you couldn't here yourself think outside. Anyway just before midnight the police arrived and shut the party down. I wonder if yours and Billie's egg incident could have been some kind of "sour grapes"?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
So sorry to hear this and hope you are OK.  Unfortunately we are hearing more and more of this type of thing and whereas before we could walk around quite comfortably now we have to be on our guard all the time.  Such a shame for the holiday makers, the locals and for the bar and hotel owners who work so hard to make a living - an escalation in these types of incident could ruin Calis. 

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Nasty, and such a shock.  I hope you are both feeling better today. Little sods

Offline patrice

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 13:00:59 PM »
Must have been tramatic for you both ..hope you ok

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 13:23:38 PM »
What a horrible (not forgetting totally cowardly) thing to do. Sadly people need to wake up to the fact that Calis is no longer a quaint little resort - it is growing and police patrols are needed and should be essential these days. Too many people cruising the streets in the wee small hours, in cars and on bikes looking for opportunities to rob, hassle or assault people. Locking a handful of people up could do wonders for the place.

I hope you guys are ok today.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 13:26:44 PM »
That is awful we hope you are both ok, luckily for you the egg/missile did miss your face, even an egg could have caused pain or damage, speak soon.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 13:45:25 PM »
Was there not some issue a few years ago and there was a campaign in emailing the
Governor Mugla and I seem to remember it did have some effect?

Perhaps somnething similar again?

Meldrew

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf