Author Topic: hsbc bank machine again  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
hsbc bank machine again
« on: June 09, 2014, 16:45:29 PM »
Just a word of warning once again. Unfortunately some guests here at Violet had their card stolen whilst trying to use the HSBC ATM in Calis. A man appeared behind and offered to help. He inserted the card and asked the owner to type the PIN. Strangely the PIN appeared on the screen in digits instead of asterisks. In the meantime the card ended up in the pocket or the chap assisting who claimed it was held in the ATM. Within an hour £7,000 was taken out prior to card being reported stolen. 
This has already been reported to the police public order division which is next to the marine authority building
The guests have been in touch with their UK bank who have confirmed that the card had been used in 10 different transactions in Gocek.
Please be extra vigilant, if in doubt then cancel the transaction immediately.  If the worse does happen, then please make sure you cancel your card with your UK bank immediately
 These unfortunate people were so shocked by it all they waited over two hours which gave these barstewards far too much time to clear them out

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: hsbc bank machine again
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 17:15:15 PM »
£7,000 was taken from your account in a foreign country within 120 minutes and your bank didn't spot the unusual activity? I would be having a word.

Also, I would never, ever even once let some stranger get involved with my cash machine business, they all present instructions in English so why would you?

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 17:25:05 PM »
I agree with what your saying George but the warning needed putting out there again

Offline George Warner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 17:35:32 PM »
Isn't there normally a daily limit on ATM cash withdrawals?

Offline Lotty

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 17:51:55 PM »
They may not have used it in ATMs George, probably online 'shopping'. Bas----s !! >:(

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 19:25:37 PM »
Can't someone print some warning stickers in English and stick them on the ATMs?

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:45:08 AM »
Why should people need it spelling out, how many times do people have to be warned "Be careful when using the ATM" it's not rocket science. And to have been "helped", your card is no longer in your possession, and you don't report it immediately?? 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
No limit if you use it to buy things, depending on the arrangement you have with your Bank.  We were in Fethiye today and watched an elderly English Couple let the Bank Guard use there card in the machine to draw their money out... We could not understand this, as the machine has the facility for you to click into "English" so you can understand what is happening.   The lady gave the guard her card number loud and clear and he got the money for her... Oh Dear...

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
Oh Dear indeed.....ATM's are idiot proof and all work in similar manner,. Why would you need to get help.
The only difficulty I have using them in Turkey is sometimes they can be difficult to read due to the glare from the sun.
If anyone offered to help me I would politely tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf