Author Topic: What is a 'Spider' please  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
What is a 'Spider' please
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:53 AM »
What does it mean on here please when you look at whose on here and it gives usernames some other bits and 8/20 spiders! Thanks as always   :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: What is a 'Spider' please
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Googlebot, Yahoo Slurp, and MSNbot and similar spiders, bots, and crawlers are the programs that harvest information for search engines. For anyone tracking statistics on their website, Googlebot, MSNbot, and Yahoo Slurp can be welcomed guests.

Google.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
I remember when I got my webshop,  the guy there told me that all the search engines like Google send out spiders at night.   Then he explained that "Spiders" where just things that looked for information to take back to the search engines They were good things for me as they took information from my site and put it onto the search engines.  So, if someone was looking for a certain item, they could go to a search engine and find out who had it.   

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 19:16:23 PM »
Thank you for replies something else new Iv learnt re all things on the world wide web   :)I had come up with my own ' version' which was maybe it was another word for folk who did not want to join the forum but 'spy' on what is going on on here!   ;)  ;)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf