Author Topic: Efes! Sugar and Rice!  (Read 5816 times)

Offline ovacik2

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« on: May 20, 2012, 21:05:19 PM »
Having enjoyed Efes for a number of years, not the best of beer's IMO, but OK.  Looking at the ingredients labeling on our return for the season as you do being longtime diabetic and see the word Sucre and in fact Pirinc as we all know Sugar and Rice. New or not? The added and presumed refined sugar will increase the CO2 and the alcohol level and maybe help with a little sweetness to the beer. Rice is not used in beer making too much in the EU though is in the USA. Sugar is used in many Belgian beers as an additive. The beers Efes and normal Marmara Gold have the same ingredients /additives. Marmara 100% malt and Efes Light have no added sugar or contain rice. Tuborg is also a normal made beer i.e. no added sugar. Just on a lighter note, maybe to add some milk to Efes we could enjoy an unusual Sutlac??  The point being that known sugars can be allowed for "hidden" sugars can be a problem for diabetics and most of us will know about sugars/carbos and alcohol/ brewing.  Cheers! Serefe!!

Offline screamlead

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »
Dont worry it wont harm you - all the sugar is used up in fermentation by the yeasties eating it to produce alcohol so theres no risidual sugar left. Sugar is also used by home brewers at bottling to produce enough CO2 to carbonate the beers but leaves a sediment in the bottle, not so with massed produced chemical ladened stuff thats made these days as all the beers are force carbonated with CO2 before bottling with special equipment to keep the Co2 in the beer when bottling. The only way to sweeten it is to add sucrose or sweetners at bottling which will not ferment as yeasties will not touch them as they cant digest sucrose.
 Rice is added to boost the 'body' of the beer but like sugar adds nothing to the finished beer as in risidual flavours or colours, except as you mentioned in Belgian type beers where dark sugar, molasses and or candy sugar are used in initial fermentation to add flavour. Lots of beers use rice to enhance the body without changing the final colour of the beer. Effes light i think is brewed with a lighter malt but stilll needs sugar to ferment too and its probably 'lagered' as well. ;)
PS what do you think wine is sweetened with? - Sucrose and sweetners - some of which have been slated for containing wierd chemicals. Red wine is mainly 'stopped' at a certain stage using chemicals to keep it sweet, whereas white is usually fermented to dry then back sweetened with sweetners or sucrose.[xx(]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:25:09 AM by screamlead »

Offline ovacik2

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 20:20:34 PM »
Suppose it depends on when the sugar is added. During fermentation or as a primer. It would appear that there can be a residue of the added sugars. It just seems a pity that in most beer brewing that unrefined sugar is not an addative. Rice can be added to lighten the beer add a flavour or as the cereal to use for economic reasons. Efes has many accolades so they must be doing things right?[^] As for me its Efes Marmara 100% Malt or Tuborg. ;) Never seen a wine with added sweeteners listed on the ingrediants  only sulphates. Suger ,Sucrose, Sweeteners, Rock and a had place comes to mind. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 20:22:19 PM by ovacik2 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 20:26:41 PM »
Is there still a beer called Vole available out there? It was miles better than Efes/Tuborg/Marmara.

Offline ovacik2

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 20:36:55 PM »
Not seen Vole for some time but must say it was never a favourite. Just so used to the real ale / beer available locally all over the UK. Never even see Tapps Micro Istanbul here now. Fresh milk was good today in Migros Buy one get second half price!!.:D ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 20:57:52 PM by ovacik2 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 20:53:57 PM »
No I agree it was at best the best of a bad lot but needs must when there's very little choice. I remember Tapps arriving (Red Ale, Strong Ale etc) and buying the lot!

Offline Steve A

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 20:59:01 PM »
Vole was really good ,last saw it last year in Bombay Corner.There was another draught Turkish beer a few years back that they used to sell in one of the hotels on the front to the left of the viewing platform as you face the sea.Beer was great and reasonable too ,6 of us went in to watch some football and as the match went on asked if he had some snacks or nuts,he sent a young las to the shop on the corner ,he came back with a 500g bag of those very dry white nuts and put a handful on a saucer.Well 6 thirsty blokes and one saucerfull,so we asked for some more,eventually he gave us the bag.However when the bill came he tried to charge us more for the nuts than the beers he wanted 8ytl per saucerful.He didnt get paid for the nuts,wasnt happy and we didnt go back.A few nights later he tried to drag us in for free nuts !

Offline ovacik2

Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 20:59:35 PM »
You and our next door neighbour!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 21:05:15 PM »
We had bottled Tuborg (Gold or 100% malt or something) a couple of weeks ago at Eyna, as recommended by Captain Squiffy. Actually surprisingly nice.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Efes! Sugar and Rice!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 23:26:23 PM »
I have Vole now and again at 4 Seasons in Ovacik. Not as gassy as Effes IMO.
I also enjoy a Marmara gold now and again. I used to enjoy it more when it was the same price for a litre as it was for 500ml of Effes:D
Tuborg is drunk as the last resort in my opinion:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf