Author Topic: Is Turkey getting expensive  (Read 32953 times)

Offline saoirse

Is Turkey getting expensive
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 16:54:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Crabbit

Whenever I purchased any large electrical appliance in the UK, I expected it to last for 5 to 7 years, so if it broke down in that time, I would return it to the manufacturer and have it repaired free of charge, as is my statuary right.
I couldn`t do that in Turkey.

Not strictly correct. I believe you are referring to the sale of goods act. There is no stipulation of an exact time span any item should last just a "reasonable period". I am a Trading Standards Officer and believe me even in Small Claims court, your route if you are denied such righrs by a trader, I wouldnt expect you to be supported in a claim for seven years out of electrical items
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 16:55:39 PM by saoirse »

Offline starman

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 17:48:23 PM »
reading the news, I guess the exchange rate doesnt help with a very weak pound at the moment which has sunk to its lowest value against the euro. When are you guys going to see the light and dump the pound. Euro lira rate has hardly changed compared to the pound lira rate.

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 20:41:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by starman

reading the news, I guess the exchange rate doesnt help with a very weak pound at the moment which has sunk to its lowest value against the euro. When are you guys going to see the light and dump the pound. Euro lira rate has hardly changed compared to the pound lira rate.

Hi Starman, you talk as if we, we being Joe public, have a say in these matters. Gordon our illustrious PM would'nt even give us a referendum over the Lisbon treaty.

Pete

Offline davewalsh

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 22:47:21 PM »
Banking crisis and credit crunch = weak pound. It will pass, might need a short (say 10 years?) period of stagflation to get over it though. However, I'll keep my money in the place with 2.1% inflation - remember, inflation is the stealthiest of all stealth taxes - and I will try and live for so many months in the place with 8.4% inflation. To even things up I will factor in the sunshine factor, the fresh food factor, the every day is different factor, the lifestyle change factor etc. etc.

Anyone foolish enough to put all their money into a two-club economy and a currency with a history of inflation aka the YTL (or the GBP!) can expect pain in the short-medium term, it might be on a roll now but the YTL will get it's come-uppance in 1-5 years time. As always, hedge your bets if you can.

As for the Euro, it's having a heyday now but only because China, India and the Far East are looking to reduce exposure to the dollar. As the euro strengthens, expect internal tensions that will strain the weaker Euro members and pull the currency union in different directions. Hold on to your hats fellas, we are in for a bumpy ride!

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 22:56:40 PM »
 :)So DAVE, dont you expect a better rate in the near future for the £ v the Euro, Just that i'm going on a 1 night trip to Spain in a few weeks, ;) Someone did say they got a better rate over there.:P

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 23:10:55 PM »
Bottom line is you can't expect 17-18% interest rates AND low inflation. That would just be unfair:D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 23:11:40 PM by stoop »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 23:14:07 PM »
Dave - I'd like to have some of this 2.1% inflation. Which country is that - 'cause it sure ain't the UK!

Offline davewalsh

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
I don't think it is 2.1% inflation in the UK, there's some heads in the sand there but lets face it, you can only compare official rates. My local Italian pizza place has just added nearly a pound on to the price of a 9" pizza, blaming world wheat prices, a shortage of tomatoes and a reduction in the size of the mozzarella lake and my local just hiked the price of 1664 by 20p to £3 !!! On my BeeRPI thats way over official rates of inflation

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Consumer rights in Turkey - a lovely theory. My experience is that if you buy from the good guys - Eren Spot, Vestel, Beko, even Migros, if anything goes wrong within the guarantee period they put it right - most exceptionally in the case of Eren.

Buy from a small retailer, it is "Buyer beware". Not always but often.

I bought 2 bikes for the girls, not long after we moved here. Small shop on the "back road". Not exactly expensive but you do expect a certain level of quality (ok I don't anymore). "All one year guarantee" the owner told me. Imagine my disappointment when within a couple of months both bikes started to fall apart, same problems in both. I took them back to the shop and explained. The owner was amused. "Not this bike! THIS bike!" he said. "If you buy this bike, one year guarantee. You buy this bike, no guarantee".

So there we have it. What do you do? Let's go to court, spend the next five years hemorrhaging cash in the pursuit of a small amount. Principle is principle but I for one couldn't be a**sed. And they know it. I'd probably lose anyway.

Two bikes, taken to a motorbike repair shop made almost entirely from scrap wood, and sorted for some ridiculous fee, 9 lira or the like.

My advice is to stick to the more established guys. I would go as far as to say that if Eren Spot sold everything,  I would buy everything from them.

You can always buy cheaper here. 5 hours of tough negotiating and you'll get it 50 kurus cheaper in the end. But it isn't all about what you pay.

Offline glennat

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Totally agree with you there Scunner, with regards to Eren Spot.
They really do understand the benefits of customer loyalty.

Glen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf