Author Topic: Overheard in Hisaronu  (Read 8889 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Overheard in Hisaronu
« on: August 01, 2013, 17:47:43 PM »
A few yers ago Mrs KKOB and I were making one of our very rare visits to Hiroshima and were having a drink in one of the restaurants near the mosque on the main drag.

As we were sitting there the Iman began the call to prayer and, at the top of her voice, a woman on an adjoining table said to her companion "You'd think they'd ban 'em from making that **ckin' row during the holiday season, wouldn't ya" 

Priceless.

Offline patrice

Re: Overheard in Hisaronu
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 18:28:15 PM »
That brings back memories when we had our first holiday in Oludeniz over 15 years ago we were sitting at breakfast  and we overheard a couple complaining to a waiter about the 'racket' they heard at 5 am   ...bloody noise do we have to put up with that every morning  ??? 

Offline fishman

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 20:45:30 PM »
I've also heard many of these comments over the years in Hisaronu I suppose that's why you can't get a decent Turkish meal in the strip now lol !!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 22:15:34 PM »
When in Hisaronu at Booty.  i got talking a couple of ladies. One was very excited to show me a picture on her phone.  It was a full English she had just eaten at Del Boys and said she was going to show everyone back in England the size of the breakfast..
Also in Ovacik in June got talking to the English lady whose husband owned a restaurant.  She asked one of the kitchen staff for something and got quite annoyed and then turned to us and said.  The trouble with the people here is they can't speak English".

Offline angela

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »
KKOB, we heard very similar in Bodrum a few years ago, makes me just despair, I don't understand the mentality of these people.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
I honestly believe there is a 'holiday mentality', a real chemical hormone brain change. They can do what they want, say what they want, eat what they want, drink what and how much they want, treat people how they want, disregard respect and consideration because they are on their 'much earned needed hard worked for holiday and no one or nothing is going to get in their way.
It ranges from the ignorance of the way of life in the country they are visiting to practical thing like using other peoples belongings ie sun loungers and inflatables on private complexes and drinking out of glasses and bottles in the pool because "Hey what does it matter, chill out we're on holiday"

People are just people and some are nicer than others.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
Jeremy Kyle watchers obviously... funniest post on here this week KKOB... laughed out loud.. 

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
KKOB `s  post is  unfortunately indicative of a  type of people ( growing in numbers )  visiting Hisaronu these days .. particularly in July and August .. one of the reasons we prefer it in the months before and after those months living there. A turkish friend  of 10 years who owns a very successful restaurant in H  even said to us recently..   " I have seen a big change in the type of visitors to H  over recent years "    without sounding snobbish I  know exactly what he was trying to say .

Offline angela

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 14:03:16 PM »
said without any prejudice towards anyone at all,  I think Hisaronu is a great place to sit and  observe our society, (as in British). Fascinating.

Quote from sleuth:-

"without sounding snobbish I  know exactly what he was trying to say" .

Pretty much what I'm trying to say too, without digging a hole!!

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 14:42:12 PM »
I enjoy `people watching`  ;)
 Angela, but there are certain `observations` in H  I  can do without  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf