Author Topic: Turkish night  (Read 9035 times)

Offline jsp51

Re: Turkish night
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
You can suggest that, once you show us the poll you have done of the tourists who want this.
A traditonal Turkish Night, should be that and it is something I would very much like to see and not the tired old belly dancer getting men up to make a fool of them 
I bet, like us when we saw our first Belly Dancing show, new tourists expect the woman to give a dancing exhibition.  We would really like to see a proper belly dancing evening, but it would seem there is no such thing.
Can I suggest you show us the poll you obviously took in order to make such a conclusive statement. I agree with Highlander, it probably IS what the tourist here for a couple of weeks holiday and fun does want to see. I recon that a show like this on Calis front will have the bar heaving. It must be what people want or nobody would go Simples.
Although have to say you wouldn't be seeing me there.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 20:20:15 PM »
Probably because I have spoken to many people who do not want to see these shows. If you go to a Turkish belly dancing exhibition this is what expect to see. Not a woman dragging men up and stripping them to the waist and making them dance with her, then going around begging men to put money in her bra. As you say yourself it is not what you would do. I also know my husbnd hates this and no way would he be doing it, IMHO it is embarassing and degrading.   I see only Highlander advocating he likes these nights, 
I also hear that the one Belly Dancer that people in the area are familiar with is English. 

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 21:39:05 PM »
Jacqui - surely the mere fact that establishments continue to put on “Turkish Nights” with the degrading behavior you describe, proves that it is something that a good number of tourists want.

Much against my better judgment I have had a quick squint at Trip Advisor and it seems that quite a few people seem not to find it embarrassing and/or degrading.

Which of course proves absolutely nothing.

PS I am not "advocating" such Turkish Nights - what I am advocating is that people do what they want to when they are on holiday.

PPS I confess to being unable to adequately describe how much I enjoyed lying on Letoon Hotel's restaurant floor with a beautiful woman sitting astride me  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline sadler

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 21:53:45 PM »
 ;D[quote author=Highlander link=topic=59179

PPS I confess to being unable to adequately describe how much I enjoyed lying on Letoon Hotel's restaurant floor with a beautiful woman sitting astride me   ;)   ;)   ;)

Absolutely priceless Highlander. The first time I have laughed out loud today. Thank you so much   ;D ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

Offline marina

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 21:58:28 PM »
Nothing said on Trip Advisor proves anything! 

But, even though it's not something we'd go to watch ourselves, obviously lots of people do enjoy it and if that's the way they want to spend their hard earned money during their holiday then good luck to them. If you don't like this kind of thing - don't go.  I'm sure somewhere in Turkey you will find a genuine Turkish dancing exhibition, but probably not in the tourist areas.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 22:00:06 PM »
Exactly.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »
Problem is you spend you hard earned money to go, thinking it will be an exhibition of belly dancing, as we first did only to find it is not.  So, now we DO choose not to go to any belly dancing and have done for years now.
It is a shame, but there is no way of knowing whether you will see a real belly dancing exhibition or not.
It was unfortunate that at the last BBQ in the Istanbul they had a belly dancer and we did not know she was going to be there.  We watched her trying to drag men up from the next table to us and they did not want to go, one guy got very angry with her.  It IMHO better for the girl to ask for volunteers to participate.
I have only every spoken to one man who enjoyed this entertainment and that was Highlander.  I would also think that the lovely Brenda was a million times nicer than a belly dancer.   ;)  :) :angel:

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 18:17:38 PM »
Go on `you tube`  and you will see the `real` belly dancers.... on stage, and in clubs in the major cities around Turkey.

We watched a   belly dancer whilst in Istanbul  at a  club, a `proper` turkish night` and  believe me there is a big difference  with the belly dancers  to the ones around Hisaronu  who dance alone for two minutes... then quickly get the  men and ladies up etc... get the 5 lira`s  out of the men then hastily leave to go to the next bar/ hotel and repeat

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 20:13:30 PM »
I would enjoy seeing a "real" belly dancer, but they do not seem to exist around our area of Turkey.  I am sure if some establishment actually had a real belly dancer it would attract a lot of business.

Offline marina

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 20:23:46 PM »
It's a bit like when we first started to go to Spain years ago and there were always 'flamenco' dancers in the hotels, who were ok but not exactly the real thing.  It wasn't until we went on a tour round the Andalucian cities and were taken to a genuine flamenco club in Seville that we realised the difference.  Brilliant!    :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf