Author Topic: Next Seasons`s predictions ?  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Sleuth

Next Seasons`s predictions ?
« on: August 05, 2008, 13:02:03 PM »
Our daughter and her family stayed at our apartment this May for a week and all four of them thouroughly enjoyed their visit. Their airfare this year 2008 was for 2 adults and 2 children only £600 flying from East Midlands airport.Great price compensated the horrible flight times, but still  good value.
Wanting to visit again in 2009 she recently tried  extensively to find reasonable flight prices to Dalaman for May 2009 but failed to get anything cheaper than £1150 for 2 adults   and 2 children !!!

She was  so disappointed  as she loved  Turkey so much, the  apartment, and the  people of course, but reluctantly    she  had to search for other destinations and found a  10 day holiday in a hotel Half Board in  Majorca for £850  !!!  so she booked that and good  luck to her as I understand Majorca is a much improved holiday destination these days thanks to the clean up of its   yobbo club  18 / 35 image   of  20  years or so ago.

Anyway some friends of ours on our complex also had the same experience they told us, where their son and his family couldnt afford  to join them in their apartment this August because of the airfare etc

What with dramatic price hikes for airfare, the present credit crunch..,  the dropping  lira (  now comparable to the Euro exchange rate )also there is the renewed interest in holidays within the UK.. so my question is ...will there be a dramatic dip of people from the UK visiting Turkey in 2009  ??
Obviously us apartment owners will aways be visiting whatever the cost,  but are we entering a new era ? Turkey because of its geographical distance from the UK will no longer  be a `cheaper` destination and will be  unable to compete with the likes of Spain, France, Portugal, the Beleiric Islands , and the other western med destinations  that are closer to the UK ? A ` bottle of beer`  will be the same price everywhere..  a  meal out also..particularly if the lira  remains  low
If we were not  `Turkey lovers` we would much prefer a 2  hour flight on a plane as against a 4  hour one,  and its half the cost.

Yep I reckon Turkey are up against it in 2009 in respect of UK visitors... but the `russians are coming` so that  may fill the gap for them.

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 13:50:51 PM »
The russians might be coming sleuth, but from what i've read, they are not too fond of spending money in the bars and restaurants, they prefer to go all inclusive, which is ok for the hotels where they stay, but no-one else. Alan

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 17:16:31 PM »
'the dropping lira ( now comparable to the Euro exchange rate)'

Not quite yet Sleuth (Euro 1.21 today against YTL at 2.21) but I take your point.

Flights are dearer - no doubt. I'm looking at the first week in Sept and I guess we will be paying around £220 each with no meals and 15kg baggage v's the £170 we paid in June which included meals and 20kg.

Don't forget though that many people have snubbed Europe this year because of the rising euro AND their increase in the cost of food and booze.

It just never seems to quite happen for Turkey. They almost get it right and then something comes and bites them on the bum.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 17:50:17 PM »
 :) I think if the price of the flights continue to rise, it will get alot worse,the prices for the flights during the school holidays arte already bad enough, so how much more will they go up.as they said on todays news, most people will be holidaying in the Uk,

Offline amca

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 23:11:12 PM »
Celtic to win the SPL!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »
As the price of oil has fallen to a three month low of $118 all the flight companies will now reduce their prices again. If at this point you look up you will see some pigs flying over!:(

Offline tony

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
"Yep I reckon Turkey are up against it in 2009 in respect of UK visitors"...............You better believe it.

Offline braveheart

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
Agreed - cost of flights quite simply will kill us

Becoming totally out of order

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »
Well my flight did drop yesterday. I was looking at Manchester for about £217 each and Leeds was £255 each. Well Leeds dropped to £222 each and I jumped in. Saving in petrol and parking will bring the real cost down by another £40 each as we will not need to park for the week and will use much less petrol getting there and back.

FTC are worth watching as their flight costs do fluctuate a lot. Monday I could have got East Midlands for £212 each. I rang Maggie, my wife, to ask if it was OK to book them and when I went back on they had shot up to £285 each!

Don't forget the code though - £10 saving per person.

To compare I just checked out Jet2 for the same dates - going to Faro on the Algarve. Only a 2.5 hour flight and no frills (not even a movie). Cost with all suppliments = £191.50 each from Leeds.

So Turkey being a 4 hour flight looks cheap compared. Add the fact that things are cheaper when you get there and it looks even better :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:46:56 AM by stoop »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:55 AM »
If you are on the computer looking at flights or holidays --remember to clear cookies before you go back on again.  It makes a difference.
And it is better to book midweek than at the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:03:58 AM by heather07 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf