Author Topic: Currency Exchange  (Read 13362 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Currency Exchange
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 21:30:47 PM »
Perhaps member calischangeoffice can advise us.

Offline DianeT

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 22:06:10 PM »
Yesterday M&S were selling at 7.66 didn't notice their buying back rate,John Lewis were selling at 8.05 & buying back at 8.90 anyone returning to the UK with lira left over is best keeping hold of it for next time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 22:25:35 PM »
Yesterday M&S were selling at 7.66 didn't notice their buying back rate,John Lewis were selling at 8.05 & buying back at 8.90 anyone returning to the UK with lira left over is best keeping hold of it for next time.

I'd seriously avoid that advice to be honest :o

Offline DianeT

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 22:46:03 PM »
Sorry I was just thinking that where people have bought at a lower rate if the rate stays high when they get home, they will get even less back for their money & therefore may be worth holding on to it - for example £100 of lira bought at 6.50 = 650 lira if cashing it in back at home & rate is 8.90 you only get £73.03 but everyone to their own & like most things where rates fluctuate there is always a risk

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 23:00:25 PM »
Yes I see your thinking but if the rate at the time of their next holiday (say next year) is 14/£ (conservative estimate) then their reclaimed £73.03 will get them 1,022 TL; a lot better than the 650 TL they started with.

The main point to remember in all this is there are few particular examples in the last 10 years of someone speculating and buying/keeping lira when the rate goes up to cash in on a higher exchange rate. We have had nearly 10 years of consistent increasing rates for exchanging pounds into lira.

The best thing people can do with unused holiday liras is get rid of them and spend the pounds on lira next year    :)

Offline DianeT

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 23:22:51 PM »
True I was thinking this sudden jump was maybe temporary but perhaps not, let's just hope it brings in more tourists than recent years as think they are going to need it to help the economy. We have been visiting Calis since about 2000 & certainly the last few years there doesn't appear to be as many tourists, we were there the last 2 weeks of June last year & we thought it was a lot quieter, due to work commitments we are going in September this year which we have never done before 😊

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 23:42:09 PM »
I have read that bookings are up around 60% - a lot of that on the back of the high exchange rate so that is one of the few silver linings. The next month or two will be critical for our Turkish friends and their futures.

Offline daveG

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
So does all this mean, I can now release some of my one million lira notes now?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
I have read that bookings are up around 60%

The HDN are suggesting that Alanya is actually fully booked which is good news for that stretch of the coast.  It's Kurban Bayram next week so, as HDN also mentions, most folk will be off from this Friday for a week and should see a boost all along the coast with domestic holidaymakers.

JF

Offline Lynn25

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
We come out on Friday and have just got 8.2 in Asda and they're buying back at 9.5!!  7.6 yesterday in Sainsburys. Let's hope more tourists do decide to go to Turkey and spend lots of money!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf