Author Topic: Where was the best meal you ever had in Calis or Fethiye over the years?  (Read 7429 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Where was the best meal you ever had in Calis or Fethiye over the years?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 14:37:57 PM »
We did the Red Island dinner trip a couple of times in 2008 and 2009  as Jacqui described.

I recall it worked out at TL300 per couple which would have been a little over £100 at the time.

Ian

Yes Ian, I think we were about the same.  I remember at the time Phil saying to me that could I imagine how much a personal speedboat out to an island to have a lobster dinner would cost in the U.K.?  We both thought at the time it was a bargain and something we would always remember.  It was also our Wedding Anniversary.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 17:54:18 PM »
I have a vision of a James Bond movie here Jacqui did Phil have a Martini shaken not stirred ?  8)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 19:05:09 PM »
Have no recollection of what the food was like or how much it cost us but this night in Chinese Breeze with these lovely people (and cavfan and jukebox) is one of our all time favourite memories of our holidays in Calis.

I can well remember my ribs aching from listening to and laughing at Kenny's stories.

And number2 is sadly missed.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 19:25:31 PM »
Sounds like a great night to me!  ;D

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 20:30:40 PM »
My best meal is a far cry from the ordinary. We've been going twice a year since 2009 and each time until 2013, we made our way along to the beach just beyond Bakrac to a wee part of the "beach" with 2 rickety broken down sunbeds opposite a shack known as Otantik, latterly Robinson Crusoe. (I called it Shirley Valentine's beach as no one else was ever there). The man lived rough there and each time we wanted an Efes, he'd run to the supermarket at Koca Calis. In 2010 on our 3rd visit, he would not let us go until we shared his meal. It consisted of chicken legs, the size of sparrow's, and crab apples grown on his land. He cooked them on a wire over a very small small homemade bbq. He invited us in to his patch, and although he could not speak a word of English (and we, no Turkish), his hospitality and generosity overwhelmed us. We will never forget him and I'm heart broken when I now see his "home" in ruins. I often wonder where he went to.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 20:38:05 PM »
I have a vision of a James Bond movie here Jacqui did Phil have a Martini shaken not stirred ?  8)

No, he prefers a McCallan with no ice and not shaken.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 21:14:02 PM »
My best meal is a far cry from the ordinary. We've been going twice a year since 2009 and each time until 2013, we made our way along to the beach just beyond Bakrac to a wee part of the "beach" with 2 rickety broken down sunbeds opposite a shack known as Otantik, latterly Robinson Crusoe. (I called it Shirley Valentine's beach as no one else was ever there). The man lived rough there and each time we wanted an Efes, he'd run to the supermarket at Koca Calis. In 2010 on our 3rd visit, he would not let us go until we shared his meal. It consisted of chicken legs, the size of sparrow's, and crab apples grown on his land. He cooked them on a wire over a very small small homemade bbq. He invited us in to his patch, and although he could not speak a word of English (and we, no Turkish), his hospitality and generosity overwhelmed us. We will never forget him and I'm heart broken when I now see his "home" in ruins. I often wonder where he went to.

Turkish hospitality at it's best Rosemary.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 21:16:05 PM »
We'll never forget it Anne. He had so little but gave us so much.  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 21:56:27 PM »
My best meal is a far cry from the ordinary........

A lovely, lovely post toky  :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:31:52 AM »
I agree, lovely post Toky. My best meal memories are always about the people and the atmosphere.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf