Author Topic: Holiday money  (Read 8506 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Holiday money
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
Personally, I can't be bothered to comb the town to get a slightly better rate, especially in this heat. If I was changing thousands of £, maybe that would be different, but say you change £100 & one rate is 0.01 better than down the road, it'll mean you get a whole 1tl extra - hardly life changing    :)
Total agree Liz but in my experience the rate in Calis is 6 % higher than in the UK so if you are changing £ 500.00 you might be 100 liar better off.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Jacqui - I have to say that annoys me.

In my opinion Alper should advertise his best rated on the board. Why should he take more money from people who don't know to ask.

If I go into a restaurant that has advertised a steak at 40 tl I don't ask the waiter what their "best price"

I remember when we first came to Calis and we used to change money in shops before it was illegal to do so.   We were told by an ex-pat, to always ask for a better rate and we always did.  We always got more.
I also remember a thread on this Forum where it was stated that ex-pats always got a better exchange rate than tourists, from the shops that changed money and one shop in particular in Calis Beach..  I recall there was a lot of comment about this posting.
So, Change Shop is doing what all the other money changers did in our experience.

Offline Taddy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 13:20:38 PM »
The difference here is the Official Change bureau is advertising a price, so it should be that price you get. Turkey eh : :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 13:27:41 PM »
Personally, I can't be bothered to comb the town to get a slightly better rate, especially in this heat. If I was changing thousands of £, maybe that would be different, but say you change £100 & one rate is 0.01 better than down the road, it'll mean you get a whole 1tl extra - hardly life changing    :)

Totally agree. 

Personally, if I didn't use Finansbank I simply used the nearest doviz - irrespective of whether I'm in Fethiye or Istanbul or Ankara.

Two or three kuruş either way and it really isn't a lot of money - rate just now is 4.58tl to the pound, change £500 (at that rate) and you'll get 2,290tl.  Hunt about and you may get 4.60 which gives you 2,300tl meaning you will gain 10tl.

Sometimes life is simply too short...

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 14:23:57 PM »
For example Post Office in UK is 4.3733 so you'd be getting 4.73% more in Turkey  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 16:38:31 PM »
I remember hearing about a top European golfer who was in town for the Scottish Open going down to reception in a top hotel in Inverness.

The receptionist was booking in a couple and after explaining the room rate to them they went off to their room. The following conversation then took place.

Receptionist: Yes Sir what can I do for you.

Golfer: You can check me out.

Receptionist: But you just checked in sir and are booked in for the week.

Golfer: Yes I know. But you can check me out and check me back in for the rate you gave that couple and not double the amount you charged me when I first checked in.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 20:14:22 PM »
Martin Lewis on T.V yesterday saying people who booked Hotels a couple of months ago are now finding rooms from their Hotel advertised cheaper now online.  He was advising people to ring the hotel and ask to get the current price, or cancel and re-book.
However, we have all heard of people on holiday comparing what they paid and some are shocked at not getting their holiday as cheap as the people in the next room.
The same with cruising some people pay a lot more than others.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 20:28:03 PM »
So, Change Shop is doing what all the other money changers did in our experience.

Am I correct in sayng the the Change Shops and Banks offer Tourists and Ex-Pats exactly the same rate.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
Even the change shops offer different rates. Alper will usually offer slightly less than the main one in Fethiye but if you ask him he will match them.

Then there is the new one on the road that runs at the back of the prom. It's a little change shop next to a barbers. He is always about 5 Korus lower than Alper. I've never used him and won't at those rates.

General rule is for example - UK 4:40tl to the £ ------- Calis 4:55 to the £....   Makes little sense to take more then you need for the first couple of days.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
At the end of the day they are all out to make money off the back of us. Nothing wrong with that but sometimes it appears to be a bit of a con  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf