Author Topic: Sorbas  (Read 3292 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Sorbas
« on: January 06, 2017, 21:07:38 PM »
Any advice on buying a wood or multi fuel burner stove would be much appreciated. Prices of buying and installing seem to vary greatly.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Sorbas
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 23:13:48 PM »
Soba is a brand name and also a generic name for a stove. Like Hoover is for a vacuum cleaner.

There is a vaste range of them available at a huge range of prices. You really need to decide exactly what you expect it to do for you. Do you want it just for heating or do you want to be able to use the top of it for cooking ? Do you want a built in oven ? Or even a double oven ? Have you got storage for fuel or is it easily accessible ?

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 23:53:09 PM »
I just want something very basic just to heat one room that can be fitted in an existing fireplace, be loaded from the front and not leak smoke into the room.Would it be necessary to get the chimney lined as well. Many thanks to anyone who can give me any advice on this.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:42:23 AM »
Whether or not it needs lining depends on how the chimney is constructed. Many villas are built with false chimneys and you're best off letting an expert have a look at it before you do anything.

Once you've got the chimney sorted your best then is to measure the fireplace and go hunting for a stove that'll fit it.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 07:36:52 AM »
One thing to remember is that a soba gives off a lot of its heat by radiation and from the metal flue pipes.
If it is recessed into a fire place. unless its specifically designed for this, you will lose a lot of heat.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
I had one of these in my shop here in Scotland and was advised by the man who fitted it never to put them in a recess as standing out on their own they will give out a lot more heat.  I used to burn peat, which smelled lovely.

Also regarding the fireplace, be careful as KKOB says a lot are fake.  A neighbour of ours had someone using his place and lit a fire, it started a fire in the bedroom, as the fireplaces in our group of villas are fakes and there to look nice. 

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 15:15:17 PM »
Thank you for all your replies. I have a survey booked and plan to have the chimney lined and the old fireplace altered or even removed completely.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf