Author Topic: Cash Machine Con  (Read 13705 times)

Offline pauline

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 17:49:38 PM »
Similar thing happened to me at the Calis Taxi ~Rank last summer.  Fortunately I ran down to Angels Bar and logged in to the account and advised them the card was stolen.  Someone had tried 5 times to get money but their efforts failed.   Many, many thanks to Angel for the use of her computer!!..

Pauline

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 22:17:06 PM »
In the event of such misfortunes you cannot beat Credit Card Sentinel. Not just loss of card, loss of wallet with all cards or even loss of passport. You can ring any time from anywhere and everything is taken care of pronto including replacement of missing items. The number is on your key fob or, as in my case, already in my mobile.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 17:21:14 PM »
Well its just as well that the nationwide have decided to charge for cash withdrawls for the type of card we've got as its made me decide to bring an alternative- i.e cash!

Offline Peter Lamb

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 19:22:12 PM »
Unfortunately for me by the time I got home and reported my stolen card it had already been used. 1,100 lira had been withdrawn from 3 seperate machines within ten minutes according to my bank in England. Doesn't look like we will get the money back. So please, please be extra vigilant everyone when using these machines.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 19:43:33 PM »
Peter, I'm really sorry to read of your problem but I'm also interested to learn - is it possible for you to use your card 3 times in separate machines within 10 minutes? I am sure if I used mine in such a way, the 2nd & 3rd attempts would be declined.

I'm not doubting your story at all, I just wonder if these crooks have a way to withdraw cash in quickfire fashion, in a way that we can't.

Offline Peter Lamb

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 19:48:24 PM »
Sorry Keith I probably didn't write my last comment correctly. Checked my English account today and 3 withdrawals were made after my card was taken at 3 seperate cash machines in Fethiye. These people are very quick and evidently very professional.Sorry for any confusion in my last post.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 19:51:38 PM »
The limit on most card abroad is £400 per day, unless the holder specifically lifts the limit with their bank.  I think the best thing to do is to keep the limit then it will not be such a loss if the card is stolen or cloned.   When we were over last time we needed cash to pay a bill and had to make daily withdrawals until we had the total we needed.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cash Machine Con
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 19:56:09 PM »
Yes that's as I understood it Peter. I'm wondering if I used my card in 3 different cash machines here in a very short space of time, whether I could withdraw a decent amount of cash each time. I'd always assumed not. Did your bank say why you won't get the money back? I assume your card use patterns have never included running between ATMs so should they feel some responsibility?

It also means they managed to record your PIN - this is serious stuff, be on guard over there folks. A friend at the ATM is generally a thief.

Offline jackstee

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 20:27:39 PM »
Keith, I agree.
Once you have done your daily limit you have to wait another 24 hours, so they may of just been trying to do , say, 100 quid a time until it refuses the card.

On the other hand if they go on the internet, say on a gambling site, they can do thousands an hour.

We use the ING bank and make sure we use their ATM, if anyone is hanging around we just tap on the window and the security guard comes out to stand next to us.
He apparently gets asked a lot.

Regards

Steve

Offline Denton

Cash Machine Con
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 13:48:35 PM »
At 10.30a.m this morning my brother tried to use the Ish Bank machine near the Calis Taxi Rank, and it did not seem to be working properly.  The Turkish man behind him said try putting your card in upside down, and said this is Turkey and it has worked like this before!!  When he put it in upside down, the card would not come out again and my brother thought the machine had swallowed it and the man said you will now have to wait until Monday until you can get your card back from Ish Bank. He phoned his UK HSBC bank to report a possible stolen card, and within 1 hour £6000 was showing on the Bank`s Screen as Transactions.  Luckily the Bank said these had to be verified before the transaction was completed and as he had reported the card, the transactions would NOT be verified (one was for an international money transfer of £4000).  Please be aware of this form of theft, it can literally alter your lives for the worse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf