Author Topic: The Mayor of Fethiye WOuld Like to Meet You :)  (Read 11572 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: The Mayor of Fethiye WOuld Like to Meet You :)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 21:24:41 PM »
Mmmmmmm not sure this is anything but a pre election media opportunity to present the guy in a good light with the real voters.  I would be more impressed if it was post election invite by the Mayor, whoever HE is, to hear of issues that he could help the foreign community with.

Does not always pay to kiss off other hopeful candidates and their paties in an election period and into the future.  It does get remembered, especially when others win now or in the future.  My advice is to not be too partisan at this pre election period.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 21:35:16 PM »
I would love to go and come on CBF'ers, this guy has really improved our area and continues to do so. Let's give him a bit of support.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 21:46:39 PM »
Mmmmmmm not sure this is anything but a pre election media opportunity to present the guy in a good light with the real voters.  I would be more impressed if it was post election invite by the Mayor, whoever HE is, to hear of issues that he could help the foreign community with.

Does not always pay to kiss off other hopeful candidates and their paties in an election period and into the future.  It does get remembered, especially when others win now or in the future.  My advice is to not be too partisan at this pre election period.

The guy was unaware of the support shown in the poll. He wants to let you expats know his plans and understand better what you might like. If he gets good publicity in the process then great, he deserves it. Which other candidates want to meet a group who can't even vote for them...precisely none.

It reminds me of the meetings we used to arrange at the Orient - people have opinions on everything, what the belediye get wrong, what they should be doing - but when they get a chance to speak face to face, they find every reason under the sun why they won't be going...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 21:49:48 PM »
Anyway I don't live there and that's me for this topic as I'm off to Spain at the crack of dawn. Meet at Address Cafe where my good friend & dentist Cagatay Aras will be there at 13:45 to show you the way to the Belediye office for a 14:00 meeting with the mayor.

It would be helpful still if you can indicate how many of you will be coming in a reply to this topic. But not compulsory.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 21:51:47 PM »
Count me in as well.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 22:28:50 PM »
The guy was unaware of the support shown in the poll.
Really Scunner that is not what you said in your opening post to this thread?

Anyway let me try to be clearer on the point I made. Engaging in dialogue with the local politicians is to be welcomed, in whichever form it takes.  However, at election time as 'guests' in Turkey it pays not to be seen, real or perceived, as supporters of a single candidate.  Different when you have an elected encumbent, but even then you need to be open to any opposition. Yes we should meet this guy, but equally we need to be saying we would also welcome meetings with other candidates .. Not perhaps taking a stance of we will meet him because he has been generous enough to meet us, and the others haven't so sod 'em.

Finally as is being implied with the comparison to the Orient meetings, I am not advocating snubbing or denigrating this particular meeting, but simply urging caution in how we engage during election time.  One thing I would say is that knowing politicos as I do, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the herd mentality kick in and other invites follow!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 22:34:20 PM »
I won't bother reading the last paragraphs as I am busy getting ready.

Let me repunctuate the part you quoted.

The mayor was unaware of the support, shown in the poll.

For the hard of understanding, here goes: The mayor learned that he had great support from non-nationals when he was shown the poll. Before that, he had no idea at all.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 22:42:43 PM »
Thanks for clearing up that point.

Hard of understanding, I will wear that as a badge of honour in all my future comments..LOL ;D ;D

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 22:46:41 PM »
Oh yes and put me down for a place at the meeting.

But as the good old beeb say at election time, that there are other candidates standing, and. I can be available to meet some of them too.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »
Regrettably we are already committed to other things on that day but would be very interested to see post meeting reports on CBF from any members attending. 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf