Author Topic: Too Many Dogs  (Read 20132 times)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: Too Many Dogs
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 21:38:05 PM »
And you with me kkob   ;) after all that's what makes this forum so special  :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »
I don't want to enter into a religious debate, but KKOB is on the money here - I've had this debate with a few Turkish friends over the years.

This article discusses (not in much depth) the issue: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-does-islam-dislike-dogs-1474897

Going back to the neuter and return scheme for cats - I've been hearing that further round the coast there appears to be an increase in the number of rats in some areas.  A few folks are putting this down to the reduction of street/feral cats over the past few years by neuter and return schemes... discuss?

JF

Offline Ally B

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 20:17:21 PM »
I h ave never seen any of the dogs show any aggression toward humans, all they seem to want is a bit of affection. What bothers me is when they decide to chase after motorbikes and scooters (which I dont think should be allowed on the prom) If the drivers get a fright or loose control anything could happen.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Having been bitten in 2014 on the leg whilst cycling in calis (and not on the prom) I can confirm it happens and the hospital confirmed they treat people every day.  As it drew blood it's was advised to have the rabbies and tetanus course!

Offline davybill

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Yes I agree with Ally b,i havnt seen a aggressive street dog to people walking on Calis front. but they do chase scooter riders.
which is not a bad thing, imo.

Offline twinkle toes

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 01:11:58 AM »
We stayed at the Mutlu this year and found that more dogs appeared towards the end of our stay. Same usual group throughout the day at the beginning and in the evenings but the last few nights a few more would hang around then. One in particular would appear out of no where and bark a lot. Not a problem for myself and parents as we would shoo it away or ignore it, but could really frighten someone not comfortable with dogs or a small child.

Definitely too many by the end of our second week! But most were lovely and just wanted affection which I happily gave!

Offline marina

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 16:24:01 PM »
Having been bitten in 2014 on the leg whilst cycling in calis (and not on the prom) I can confirm it happens and the hospital confirmed they treat people every day.  As it drew blood it's was advised to have the rabbies and tetanus course!

A few years ago we were at the far end of the prom by the old Caretta Beach Bar, now the Aroma.  We were walking past a quite large dog which was chained up and appeared to be asleep.  We were a few yards away  when it, quite suddenly, went for my husband and tried to sink it's teeth into the top of his leg.  Fortunately it caught the pocket where he had his phone but went through the material and left a couple of dents in his phone case. 

Now we never, ever approach dogs in the street especially when abroad so there was no provocation whatsoever on his part, just simply walking past it.  So yes, it does happen! 

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 18:30:34 PM »
I am surprised that the fact that Turkey is a high risk area for rabies is rarely mentioned. I certainly would be more wary of dogs now that the numbers are increasing.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 22:18:03 PM »
I was on our afternoon walk with Gill about 6 months ago in Akarca and walked past a dog and said "hello" - it then went for me and ripped my trousers and bruised my leg.

I was holding a small brolly and on reflection I think it thought I was going to hit it as I was swinging my arms but it has made me very wary now.

The other point made by others  about chasing bikes and cars is getting more serious on our road (Mehmet Akif Ersoy Cad) that runs from Cafe Pazar down past Sevi Classic and Harman Hotel - not only does it keep you awake into the early hours - it will shortly cause a serious accident.

Offline Clioman2

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
well we return to Calis in about six weeks with our grandchildren and we're not at all happy about the total number of dogs on the loose and especially those that are roaming in packs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf