Author Topic: Calis Beach Review - October 2018  (Read 8231 times)

Offline swindsor

Re: Calis Beach Review - October 2018
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »
Lovely holiday review.  I love review posts!

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 19:32:36 PM »
Great review Scunner.........possible future stay.

One question - I know that it's the end of the season but did you experience any trouble with mozzies?  I ask because the hotel is built very close to still water and is a perfect environment for the wee beasties, more so in summer.    :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 22:44:45 PM »
It is difficult to understand Dennis - this was possibly the worst piece of land along the bay front - you can see it in this post by Stoop in a Google Maps 2008 aerial photo, just down from the yellow pin below Seaside (actually Sunset): http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20145.msg59069#msg59069

I remember in winter you couldn't even pass along there on foot due to the amount of water flowing out from that point, down the beach to the sea. It cut your route off completely. You used to have to wait for a friendly local to stop and give you a short lift across in their car or van    :) The land was swamp - no good.

There was no great problem with mozzies during our holiday, well no more than any other hotel in Calis in October. I have absolutely no idea how they started with a swamp and ended with a lagoon (as they call it) with lily pads (apparently very difficult to establish), ducks, moorhens, fish, terrapins etc. It looks lovely and clean and nature is definitely flourishing there.

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
Thanks for your reply Scunner.  I had visions of a permanent battle to ward off the little devils, but if it's good enough for you then it's good enough for me!   ;D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
It is difficult to understand Dennis - this was possibly the worst piece of land along the bay front - you can see it in this post by Stoop in a Google Maps 2008 aerial photo, just down from the yellow pin below Seaside (actually Sunset): http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20145.msg59069#msg59069

I remember in winter you couldn't even pass along there on foot due to the amount of water flowing out from that point, down the beach to the sea. It cut your route off completely. You used to have to wait for a friendly local to stop and give you a short lift across in their car or van      :) The land was swamp - no good.

There was no great problem with mozzies during our holiday, well no more than any other hotel in Calis in October. I have absolutely no idea how they started with a swamp and ended with a lagoon (as they call it) with lily pads (apparently very difficult to establish), ducks, moorhens, fish, terrapins etc. It looks lovely and clean and nature is definitely flourishing there.

Funny enough most of the 'swamps' are actually full of clean water and wildlife. One near us (the apartment block that has sunk and is under water 24/7 - 365 days a year has fish swimming quite happily in the water. I even got the environmental health (through MUSKI) out to check it as I was worried about contamination, etc. They came, took samples and declared the water clean and not a health threat.

But the Jiva have made a great feature of a natural pond and all credit to them. It just shows what can be achieved with some thought and a decent engineer.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:27:28 PM by stoop »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 18:02:50 PM »
Yes I agree, it is amazing they didn’t fill it in, and they have made a central feature of it.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
Yes I agree, it is amazing they didn’t fill it in, and they have made a central feature of it.

Yes - we all thought “mozzies” but it’s probably no worse than anywhere else. In fact I think they have fountains there? Moving water which is nice and clean is not the best for mozzie breeding.

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 00:36:45 AM »
A great review and photos Keith!  Glad you enjoyed our recommendation - unlike the other place we recommended to you!!!   :)   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
It was a different experience to your last recommendation. People were nice and there were things to do :D

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 13:56:16 PM »
It was a different experience to your last recommendation. People were nice and there were things to do :D

See you there next year!!   :)    :)  (The Jiva, not the other place!  :) )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf