Author Topic: It pays to shop around.  (Read 2490 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
It pays to shop around.
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
In the last 24 hours there have been 2 fine examples of why it pays to shop around.

Had an email yesterday from Tesco informing us that the insurance for Mrs KKOB's car was due for renewal in 3 weeks time. The renewal price was £85 more than the current policy price. Went onto the GoCompare website and, amongst other quotes, was a quote from Tesco at £25 less than our current policy with them. So, in effect, £110 cheaper than their renewal price. Goodbye Tesco Insurance, hello Swinton at a further £35 reduction.

Checked with Web Oil for a price for heating oil. 43.40 pence per litre. Called our local supplier and was quoted 48.50 ppl. A difference of £51 for 1000 litres. When I told them what Web Oil was quoting the reply was "That's no problem, we'll match that !" My reply "No thanks. I'll buy from Web Oil ! They're not trying to rip me off."

Offline foggiestmeldrum

Re: It pays to shop around.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 20:28:22 PM »
Nice one

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 20:50:11 PM »
It does seem to me that people are amazed and indebted when their current supplier of anything offers to match a quote. I've had several conversations with people who stayed with their current insurer because they matched a new quote.

Agree with you KKOB, reward the company who beat your current supplier - never entertain the current supplier who tried it on then tried to match.

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 21:00:13 PM »
I just get so frustrated , every time my electric, gas, internet, land line, mobile, car insurance, house insurance, contents insurance etc. Etc. Not to mention my investments come up for renewal mostly annually, I have to go through the maze of quotations to try to get the best offer. Where has loyalty gone. Just remembered RAC or AA. Drives me mad. Come back the good old days when we had one provider and all paid the same.  >:(

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 00:35:48 AM »
It does seem to me that people are amazed and indebted when their current supplier of anything offers to match a quote. I've had several conversations with people who stayed with their current insurer because they matched a new quote.

Agree with you KKOB, reward the company who beat your current supplier - never entertain the current supplier who tried it on then tried to match.

Can’t agree with that.

If my current provider tries it on and I get it cheeper with them elsewhere then I take it as long as I’m happy with their service.

Why not screw them?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
I hope you renewed through Quidco KKOB you would get £37 cashback.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf