Author Topic: Info on Portugal please.  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: Info on Portugal please.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
Stayed in Albuferia many years ago for New Year. Weather was pleasant day time but cool nights. We actually had a few nice walks on the beach. Enjoy DianaJ  8)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
Once we stayed in Tavira which I thought a very pleasant little town but Hilary didn't enjoy it since she demands beach and didn't like the fact that you have to catch a ferryboat out to the sandbank that lies off the coast.

One thing that struck me immediately was just how abundant the wildlife is: the horribly-polluted Mediterranean is almost dead in comparison. Sitting on the riverbank having a beer there was a narrow strip of sand between the bank and the water with more being exposed as the tide went out. After about ten minutes I saw something scrabbling about on the little beach. Soon it was joined by a couple of mates ten ten. They were tunneling out from under the sand. Scores of them, then 100. They were tiny fiddler crabs.

We also caught a bus to Cabanas and walked back across the plains past all the salt tanks which were teeming with waterfowl and waders with avocets and stilts shrieking and dive-bombing us.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »
We took a boat trip from Portimao to Silves last October and we too were very surprised at the amount of wildlife. I've never seen so many birds!

I'll try post some pictures later - and Silves is lovely.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 15:44:26 PM by stoop »

Offline The Bruces

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 14:43:19 PM »
I replied earlier and mentioned Portimao. I meant to say Pinhao, which is in the Douro Valley. I haven't been to the Algarve and Portimao for many years but have been to Pinhao more recently. I can't imagine it's changed much in hundreds of years, let alone since the last time I went there.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

Offline charlste

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 22:19:33 PM »
Went to villamoura a few years ago.
Nice hotels,good beach and a lovely marina

Offline Wagon Wheels

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 14:16:02 PM »
Still here in Portimao and weather is very changeable, certainly a lot cooler and had to wear our coats, been raining quite heavily here also.  The main problem is that there is virtually nothing open, it seems since everyone went home after New Year even more places have closed until the season.  It very sad that the recession has hit Portugal very badly and there are more closed up shops in many towns and villages than just closed for the season.  Lots of the older building with character are crumbling and boarded up, as many of the families that own them just cant afford the repair costs, and even if they could it would'nt  be financially  worth it, as all old building have to be put back to their original state and unfortunately that's not what people want these days.  It seems that the Algarve is changing, we were talking to some people who had been staying in Alberfura and they said an Indian businessman had just purchased 2 very large hotels in town and was going to open them up as Stag/Hen party hotels and cater for the 18/30 age group this summer and was in negotiations to purchase several more and that he was going to change the face of tourism in the Algarve!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf