Author Topic: The hijab  (Read 9457 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: The hijab
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 21:09:36 PM »
One very deep thought provoking idea Jacqui, Christians look to God as the foundation of the Christian religion, BUT, who is to say that God is NOT a woman ?? If this were the case, it would make a nonsense of your statement that religions are always started by men !   ;) And, no, I am not chauvinistic !!  :o :angel:

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 21:29:56 PM »
Your Not? :o ???

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 21:52:30 PM »
No, not today !  :angel:

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 22:00:57 PM »
Just a cloon

Offline madmart

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 22:41:15 PM »
Anne's daughter's story reminds me of a former colleague.

Driving home at 3 in the morning he was stopped for speeding. 45 in a 40 since you ask. He was asked by Plod 1 what he would do if a child had run in front of him. He replied he would blame the parents as children should be at home in bed at that time of night. Plod 1 also wanted to nick him but Plod 2 was laughing too much.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 23:38:29 PM »
Re the hijab, last year I was sat eating at a market catering stall when a muslim woman
came and sat near me and she had bought a jacket potato with beans in a tray.She flipped
the veil up over her head and scoffed her meal blindfolded,not a pretty sight.Some of it hit
the target,some didn't but it brightened a few peoples day.     :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 00:08:17 AM »
I don't think it is for anyone to say what people should or should not wear as long as it is their choice. I have met and seen intelligent educated women interviewed who choose to wear the Hijab or Burka. They also consider themselves feminists.

The problem lies where the decision is forced on women by family expectations linked to the lifestyle adopted when conforming to religion or whatever; often the abuse of individual or institutional power by men over women.

Doğan told me that when he traveled from Iran back to Turkey on the bus as soon as the bus crossed the Turkish border most of the women on the bus ripped off their head coverings, brushed their hair out for all to see. They were traveling for the most part with their husbands.

Where I would personally draw the line is when women want to be employed in jobs that involve them working with children or similar particularly in schools. Body language and facial expressions are a very important part of the communication process and if the face in particular is concealed then this will hinder the learning process.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:27:00 AM by nichola »

Offline Menthol

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 01:38:53 AM »
The hijab is an insult.

It is an insult to the women who wear it and the women who don't wear it. It's an insult to men.

My background is as a Muslim woman. I have never been forced to wear anything. I have, however, chosen to cover my hair when in certain company. I chose to do this supposedly out of a mark of respect. When actually, if I'm truthful, it was to prevent embarrassment. Mine and theirs.

The burka or hijab (there are differences but for this post I refer to the full body covering robes and covered face) has absolutely nothing to do with religion. There's not one section of the Quran that dictates a woman should dress in this way. Only a reference to both men and women dressing modestly.

Men chose to force women to cover themselves. This is because women are seen as only sexual objects, placed here on earth to gratify men and give birth. Therefore every nuance of shape, hint of lip or in some cases, glint of eye, must be disguised and shrouded.

Men are so unable to control their lustful feelings and desires, that temptation should be removed from them as much as possible. Women should be only shadows unless they are in the bedroom waiting for their husband.

Women who do not cover themselves in such a way, are inferior Muslim women, far less pious and worthy, or even corrupt Western women, who have no dignity or self respect.

It's an insult to everyone.

Muslim women who declare they are feminists and wear the hijab as a choice are lying to themselves.
They are 'allowed' to be strident and speak out and demonstrate their intelligence because they still dress like a good Muslim woman. They don't therefore offend their families and honour quite so much.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
Very interesting piece you wrote there Menthol and good to hear the views of a Muslim woman first hand.
Thanks for sharing your opinions.  I enjoyed reading them.  They only confirmed what I have always thought.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 08:04:52 AM »
I thought this might be of interest to the debate so we all have a common understanding of the terms used.

Hijab: This is the most common type of Islamic dress, which covers the woman’s body, leaving only her face and hands visible.

Niqab: This type is like the hijab, except it also covers part of the face, leaving only the eyes visible.

Burqa: This type is the least common, and involves covering the whole body as well as covering the face with mesh, so that the eyes are not visible.

The hijab can generally be found amongst Muslim women all over the world, while the niqab and burqa are more common in specific regions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf