Author Topic: The hijab  (Read 9904 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: The hijab
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:25 AM »
A friend of mine is going to live in Saudi for 2 years as her husband is working there. She has to live in a "Camp" She can wear what she wants there.  When she leaves the camp she must wear the hijab. (her husband has bought her some, but they all have to be black).  She will not be allowed to drive and  so will be transported by her husband or by camp bus to the shops and back...
Of course, it's a great opportunity for them to make some money and her husband's company has asked him to work out there for them,  but she has decided she does not want to stay any longer than two years. 

Offline Harmless

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
I too, would like to thank Menthol for her post.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
Yes, excellent post Menthol, thank you.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:19 AM »
Its great for a bad hair day ;D ;D  but saying that so would the wig.. :o

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
Re Jewish women shaving the head and wearing a wig when married: (pretty obviously) this only applies to ultra orthodox women - a small minority. Just about every religion has an extreme element - the Jewish religion caters to a broad spectrum of belief and practice: from liberal to reform to conservative to orthodox to ultra orthodox - take your pick.  :)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
My friend's sister is orthodox Jewish, (my friend married out so no longer orthodox) and she wears a wig, but she still has her own hair underneath. At home she takes off the wig. I thought she had a beautiful little girl with long blond curly hair but it was a little boy, they don't cut their hair till they're 4.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
How refreshing to read Menthol's post, very well put.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 16:04:02 PM »
I never knew about the Orthodox Jewish stipulation of women shaving their heads. I knew that a lot of Jewish women favoured wigs but never really knew why.

I do remember some years ago being regaled by a young lady I commuted with on the train, of her tales of Jewish Orthodoxy and her wedding night in Israel. Tradition dictated that their flesh wasn't allowed to touch and so a 'marriage sheet' is used. This is a sheet with a hole in it and the sheet is then hung out of the window the following morning, complete with vital stains ( :P ) to ensure the community knows the 'deed' was done. I hear a well known adage coming on ......

Thanks guys for your kind feedback. As it happens, I now consider myself an atheist and have for some years.

However, some things are hard to shift.

I still only eat halal.

I don't drink alcohol.

The call of the muezzin is still one of my favourite sounds ever.

I still dress quite modestly. Man and womankind needs to be grateful for this last one, by the way. Mine is not a midriff meant for displaying.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 20:07:44 PM »
I am fascinated and interested in all kinds of religions, customs and beliefs.  I do get very angry and uptight by all extremists though.   I can only respect their beliefs whilst they are not trying to force them on others.
The Burqa and to some extent the Niqab, I find sinister and I would be downright uncomfortable talking to someone wearing one. 
Jacqui's friend going to Saudi - I could never live like that and if the custom has to be respected,  I just wouldn't go. I do wish her luck trying to acclimatise. 

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 21:50:10 PM »
Exactly why I put in my post the Full veiled Hijab, I have no problem with head scarfs, my granny had a draw full of them, i even tolerate the Sunday drivers who wear Trilby hats, Yorkshire men in flat caps obligatory  ;D  with head attire we can all still see the person beneath, and if they are male or female, but the full veil should be banned. 

France has the right idea, Viva la France!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf