Author Topic: The hijab  (Read 9865 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Re: The hijab
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
A friend of mine is going to live in Saudi for 2 years as her husband is working there. She has to live in a "Camp" She can wear what she wants there.  When she leaves the camp she must wear the hijab. (her husband has bought her some, but they all have to be black).  She will not be allowed to drive and  so will be transported by her husband or by camp bus to the shops and back...
Of course, it's a great opportunity for them to make some money and her husband's company has asked him to work out there for them,  but she has decided she does not want to stay any longer than two years. 

7 years with my lady in Riyadh Saudi Arabia, iwestrn women have to wear an abaya (long black robe) and a scarf rather than a "Hijab". it is like a lot of things not as it seems, it is a Family business run by a Despotic family who steal the Countries resources and use religion to keep everyone in position. The Mutawa -- religious Police--are mental degenerates who shout at women to cover their hair in the markets, drag people out of cars to pray at prayer time --- all shops and restaurants etc must close during prayers -- then half of them can be found on holiday in the Ladyboy bars of Thailand! Anything that threatens the Al Saudos total control is deemed anti Islamic -- horrible place? Well, it can be but we actually had a great time socially, so hopefully they will, if they are on one of the Compounds run by Major British Companies it is like a permanent holiday for the ladies! It is nothing to do with Islam and most Moslems deplore the Saudi regime!

But the whole issue of religion, and this from an ex-lay preacher by the way -- is about Control, it doesnt matter what religion it is it was invented by Man to control! Just consider Christianity, not getting anywhere much until a Roman Emperor needed a way of controlling the people and heard of it, a religion that tells you to do what you are told? That tell you to be humble? That tells you to render under Caesars that which is Caesars??? Bring it on I will convert myself! Not too mention teaching Children at an early age, what is the hymn you all learn "All things bright and beautiful"?? "The rich man at his Castle, the poor man at his gate, the Lord God made each and everyone according to hi state " you lot stay down there where you belong!

All religions have always been about Control, whether the Shaman or the Mullah the message is the same, and women in the World have been singled out for control! But not from the start, but interpretation to suit, such as Islam nowhere in the Koran does it say women should cover their faces or even their hair, it just says a woman should dress modestly, funny that is in Judaism, Christianity etc. but doesn't anywhere say cover your hair or shave your head!

It worked though, people were more law abiding and generally better behave in the UK when religion was stronger, Jacqui you are probably too young to remember but there was a time in most of Scotland you couldn't buy a box of matches on a Sunday! My mother got told off for washing clothes on the Sabbath  :)

Hijab, no, because it is about subjugation not religion! But people are easily fooled, after fighting to remove the subjugation women in Iran only wore a Chador (long robe and veil) during Ramadan, rest of time many wore western dress. Along cane charismatic religious leaders that persuaded them that God would over throw the Shah if they wore the Chador and once he had gone and the Ayatollah arrived ---- well, back to the dark ages! Women lost all their rights and stoning to death back as the main attraction at the weekend!

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
This has been a very interesting thread. I feel more aware thanks guys

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 13:04:07 PM »
Regarding the barbarous Jewish barbers, if one reads up on it, ALL followers of Judaism are expected to adhere to strict practises as regards their hair, & NOT only orthodox Jews. All female followers of Judaism are expected to have their beautiful, lustrous locks shorn, in order to appease a silly man called Rabbie, but, like the Quran, there is no mention in the Torah about having to do this ! John Taylors post is perhaps one of the most enlightening I have read on the subject, & I thank him. By the way, if one reads Wikipedia re. Judaism, one will discover that Jews have "square heads". ! ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 17:56:22 PM »
Agreed an interesting and educational thread.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 18:38:30 PM »
I don't think it is for anyone to say what people should or should not wear as long as it is their choice. I have met and seen intelligent educated women interviewed who choose to wear the Hijab or Burka. They also consider themselves feminists.
Although I agree with many that Menthol's posts have been strong, I also find this contribution by Nicola interesting. I have chaired discussions on this issue between covered Muslim women, uncovered Muslim women, non-Muslim women and a few non-Muslim men (who tended to keep rather quiet). All of these were undergraduates in the UK. I was impressed with the strength, and pride, of the covered students who asserted their dress was their own choice. Often they also talked, in response to suggestions that they were pressured by their family, of the difficulties and disputes they experienced due to the disapproval of their non-covered mothers. A common view was that an earlier generation saw removal of "the veil" as liberation: they, the new generation, saw putting it on again as their own statement of personal values and freedom.

I realize that the notion of "personal choice" may be an illusion in the context of a dominant ideology but I found I could not simply dismiss their strongly-expressed claims as mere cultural indoctrination.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 18:55:16 PM by Colwyn »

Offline GordonA

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 19:34:31 PM »
As always Colwyn, an extremely cogent point, & elegantly put. Your last point, specifically, "personal choice" in a "dominant ideology" would make an unshakeable example of an oxymoron, within a learning environment. North Korea springs to mind also, but, that is a totally other, different kettle o' fish !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 20:05:58 PM »
So woman have the choice do your hair, put on make up and a nice outfit and go out and feel good about yourself.  Alternatively do what men want you to do because you are a possession and they are insecure, so put on a drab black gown and cover up for the rest of your life, whilst the man in your life wears what he wants and drives where he wants... Sorry, woman are deluding themselves if they want to lead a subjugated life to please men.
Why do all religions make woman suffer, which religion actually makes men even a little uncomfortable?

Offline GordonA

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 20:15:39 PM »
I believe having probably the most sensitive part of my anatomy ripped off by someone with NO medical/surgical training whatsoever, i.e. the local rabbi, under the guise of necessity, in a certain religion called Judaism, would make me "a little uncomfortable", as you put it Jacqui !!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 20:24:53 PM »
Jesuits tend to be a mite uncomfortable.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 20:36:43 PM »
Most men in the States have this done now Gordon, it's the norm, whatever religion you are.  Anyway it's a short period of suffering when you are young and not a life long subjugation. 
Also remember in a lot of cultures including African this happens to females usually at the age of 9-11 held down with no pain killer and done with a dirty knife by some old woman then with a lifetime of no pleasure in sex and extremely difficult child birth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf