Author Topic: The hijab  (Read 9455 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: The hijab
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 21:11:29 PM »
Thank you for that snippet of information Jacqui.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 21:34:03 PM »
I wouldn't say that it was "quite the norm"!, Jacqui, it is ritual disfigurement, no matter which way you "cut it", so to speak. If we males were not meant to have a foreskin, we would have been born without one surely ?? If the god Jehovah that is worshipped by Jews was as omnipotent as they believe, he or she, would have surely wished his followers to be made in his image, no ? Ergo, in the beginning there was no being but God/Jehovah/Allah/Krishna/Shiva, et al, there was no one else around to mutilate them, so, if the "Supreme" being wished his followers to be created in his/her image, why force this mutilation upon them ?? A never-ending dilemma, methinks.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
Most men in the States have this done now Gordon, it's the norm, whatever religion you are.  Anyway it's a short period of suffering when you are young and not a life long subjugation. 
Also remember in a lot of cultures including African this happens to females usually at the age of 9-11 held down with no pain killer and done with a dirty knife by some old woman then with a lifetime of no pleasure in sex and extremely difficult child birth.

The removal of the foreskin reduces the sexual pleasure a man experiences both during intercourse and other sexual activities such that whilst not as extreme as the "female circumcision" -- (which it most definitely isn't its agonising castration! Barbaric and horrific and we should jail offenders in the UK for at least 20 years) it is still a practice encouraged through Religions based on sexual repressions of mentally maladjusted people. It is often stated that this was done for good health reasons in primitive societies and ancient times, some truth in that, but, except for Saudi Arabia -- it is no longer 1434! I agree with all you say about the weak masculinity of people that encourage the subjugation of women.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
Regarding the barbarous Jewish barbers, if one reads up on it, ALL followers of Judaism are expected to adhere to strict practises as regards their hair, & NOT only orthodox Jews. All female followers of Judaism are expected to have their beautiful, lustrous locks shorn, in order to appease a silly man called Rabbie, but, like the Quran, there is no mention in the Torah about having to do this ! John Taylors post is perhaps one of the most enlightening I have read on the subject, & I thank him. By the way, if one reads Wikipedia re. Judaism, one will discover that Jews have "square heads". ! ??? ??? ??? ???

Well, that's what you get for being an ex-preacher  :) You have a sort of inside track on Religion! You would be amazed
how many ex-priests. Vicars etc. actually believe in God and pray frequently but do not wish to "belong" to a an organised Religion! But, we wander from the Hijab, Chador, Burkha subject a tad.

The biggest problem with all Religion is interpretation, and the practises like the covering of women are a total contradiction in Islam, Islam is in fact a pretty tolerant Religion overall, it is these archaic and subjugational practises that alienate the Moslem from society rather than protecting women from advances. In Saudi Arabia it was hilarious to watch the young women (usually married, often to men who were either sexually impotent or just used them with no care or love) in the Supermarket either passing pieces of paper with their private mobile number or the men muttering their number as they stood near them!) and men setting up liaisons, all from within a total black "sack" except the heavily made up eyes! So much for the "Hijab" and "Modesty"! In a land where women are totally subjugated in the name of Religion, covered often head to toe, (In places like Burraidah even the hands covered with black gloves) and the whole sexual repression encouraged by this extreme implementation of Religion shown for what it is! So, what is my point? Well we often hear the phrase "It is written" and Religions often say they "follow the words of the Book" but it isn't in the book! Priests may not marry and must remain Celibate -- not in the Bible, forced in by Pope Gregory I believe in an attempt to increase Control. Women must cover their heads and faces, not in the Koran, etc. So it is not written at all and has no basis, so, women who willingly wear this statement of subjugation are wrong, no if's or but's!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 18:10:02 PM »
"So it is not written at all and has no basis, so, women who willingly wear this statement of subjugation are wrong, no if's or but's!"

I utterly agree, John!

If you decide to wear your headscarf because you think it flatters you or it covers up a bad hair day, fine. What you shouldn't do is wear it because you want to make a statement as a Muslim woman, that you are choosing to wear it. Because that really is bullsh*t.

The concept of women covering their heads to prevent men being tempted by their lustrous locks was invented by those very same men 1400+ years ago. If that hadn't occurred, it'd never have crossed any woman's mind to do it.

And just as John has regaled - if you want to get up to some hanky panky, not much is going to stop you.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 16:19:35 PM »
Brilliant, thank you now have a title for my book -- "Hanky Panky in Malaz Safeway"  :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 16:37:01 PM »
Do you need a Preface, John ?  : :)  :angel:

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 16:42:02 PM »
You were already first on my list Gordon!  :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 23:47:26 PM »
Brilliant, thank you now have a title for my book -- "Hanky Panky in Malaz Safeway"   :)

I'll purchase a signed copy. Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf