Author Topic: Is this the future?  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Is this the future?
« on: August 16, 2014, 16:06:59 PM »
I have to state my case, I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to posting on social media sites, in fact my post here is like stating the fecking obvious. However, today we popped into a very well known Calis restaurant for lunch and sat near to a family of five, Mum & Dad and three boys aged from about six to twelve. Each of the family had their own computer tablet in front of them and we watched them eat lunch with hardly a word exchanged between any of the family.

Now, before anyone tells me it's their prerogative, I fully and 100% agree that it is.

But I must say that after growing up in a family whose parents worked shifts, we never really had many opportunities to sit and eat together, the exception was of course on holiday where we ate together and spoke constantly about the days activity and plans for tomorrow. I really felt that this family were missing out on a great opportunity to interact with each other which is something we crave with our own family who are either scattered around the world, or worse still, deceased.

I went through an era where it was frowned upon to watch TV on the odd occasions while eating a family meal, but at least if we did watch TV while eating, we could all comment on how Brucie or Bob Monkhouse were doing or laugh together at Tommy Coopers jokes, whereas this family had a private interactive TV each which effectively excluded others.

If this is the future, we for one find it very sad.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Re: Is this the future?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 16:12:33 PM »
So do i mate.  ;)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 16:16:23 PM »
I hear you.  However, on our holiday sometimes we enjoy using the wifi and catching up when we go for a meal or a drink at a restaurant.  At home, every evening meal is sat at the table together and whilst on holiday, 95% of our time is spent nowhere near our phones/computers etc so ignoring my husband whilst catching up on facebook is great.....

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 16:24:15 PM »
I posted this a few weeks ago and then stupidly reset my photo storage and wiped out all the links I have ever posted to CBF. So here it is again.

[Banksy, 2014]

Offline suehugh

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 16:28:16 PM »
Agree with Lynn. It's more about using the free wifi for a lot of people including us.
The future will be when roaming charges are affordable and we don't have to cram in input from the ether during our meals or when we should be chatting to each other

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 16:37:59 PM »
Couldn't agree more Rimms.

I watched similar in June - sometimes people with a fork in one hand and a phone in the other.

Disgusting behaviour.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 16:43:04 PM »
Look, I apologised at the time ok!...I said I'm sorry

;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 17:17:45 PM »
But did you take a selfie of you making an apology ... and then having to apologize for taking a selfie?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 17:41:34 PM by Colwyn »

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 18:04:42 PM »
Good post George, I know exactly what you are saying, but unfortunately this is the world we are now living in. Just think, if there was no tinternet and no CBF there would be no tablets. See what I mean.   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 18:38:46 PM »
Surely rimms point was that this group were having lunch.

It's not the case that this is the world we live in, it's the world some idiots chose to live in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf