Author Topic: Large Circular Trays  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Linda1953

Large Circular Trays
« on: July 12, 2006, 18:14:48 PM »
I have transformed one of my balconies into a bedoin area for sitting on the floor eating etc and I was going to get one of those large silver trays used like a table.  Anyone know the general cost of these?  I know there are various sizes. One price I was quoted as being 15 lira depending on the size but it was not a very large tray.

I also purchased a number of cushions from a warehouse type shop on the Olu Deniz Road to the total cost of 80 lira for 8 of the bedoin cushions. Has anyone else bought cushions of this type (the ones used in cafes).

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 18:55:02 PM »
We have bought cushions for the Turkish room on our roof terrace.
The square floor cushions cost 7 YTL each, the hard back cushions were 5 YTL each from Koycegiz market, the same person has a stall in Fethiye market on tuesdays, so ask all the stalls selling them for the price, and eventually you will come across him.

Crabbit

Offline Linda1953

Large Circular Trays
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 18:59:43 PM »
Thanks Crabbit and it seems I have been ripped off again! Oh well we live and learn next time I go to buy something I will come on here and ask first!

Is that in the Tuesday market by the canal? Maybe I can recoup the balance and get a cheap tray!

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 19:15:35 PM »
If you don't mind buying 2nd hand cusions then why not try (I can't remember which one it is now) but the road that runs behind erin spot there are a number of 2nd hand shops one of which has a load of cusions and the hard straw filled backs for them at 1 lira each.. bargain eh!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 06:23:12 AM »
He's on to you mate ! He's doubled his prices !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:09:04 AM »
As an antiques dealer I can tell you about British  metal serving plates which, I am sure will apply to the Turkish variety. These trays are not generally made of silver, as silver plates would be expensive, they will be copper, base metal or possibly pewter (old ones will be pewter). Copper and pewter were generally the ones that where used for food. Brass was usually only for display. Try to get an antique one which will have good paternation and will be excellent to serve food on. Be careful of new plates as they may be treated with chemicals so wash them well. Do not buy silver plated plates as silver plated items are just things made of base metal and cover in a thin layer of silver which will eventually wash off.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:05:58 AM »
Hi

I purchase a brass tray, engraved from a guy on the Fethiye rd, I;m new to the area so it's hard to describe where he is but he is on the opposite side of the rd to Migros heading into Fethiye, next to or near a little motorbike shop. I paid £40, it's lovely and very authentic.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
The bottom has dropped out of the antique metal market in the U.K. brass, copper etc., has all plummeted in price.  I think people don't want to clean it.  These large asiatic brass trays are going for peanuts at auctions I saw one make £2.00 recently, it was old and had lovely engraving on it. I would say the most I have seen them make is £10.00.
Shame you can't get one in the U.K.
Jacqui.

Offline ausgal

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 17:01:44 PM »
Linda you bought your cushions on the old Antalya road, you bought double length seat and back. That works out at 10ytl for one seat. is that expensive????. the single seeters were cheaper. ausgal

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Large Circular Trays
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 17:22:48 PM »
I purchased this table in Tewkesbury a few months back for £15. Is that a fair price Jacqui?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 17:26:13 PM by Steve B »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf