Author Topic: Pensions & Tax  (Read 10954 times)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 15:23:38 PM »
start again just wrote a whole speal and lost it some how!!grrrr...
right..in the site www.hmrc.gov.uk under the dt.digest  full tax relief is given in turkey uder the dt agtreement to- government pensions (pensions paid to ex gov.employees) state pensions(oap) and private pensions.
to qualify for this you need to claim for non resident statis. this requires that you fill in forms stating that you are out of the country the majority of the time and visit uk no more than the stated ammount of days.etc.
also that you are a resident of turkey and a potential tax payer
(full citizeship is not nessesary) getting the turkish tax side of things sorted is the dificult part and where my wife can help.
once the forms are completed and returned to the nottingham centre for non residents. it takes about six weeks to process there.
you also get backdated tax with interest paid for the ammount of previous years you have resided in turkyie.
a couple of year ago i asked on this forum if anyone had actually applied for this and there was no reply up till now. recently i met a retired uk tax inspector who had sucessfully achieved this and inspired me to go for it.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 19:53:14 PM »

Stuart,

I have read through the DT Treaty for Turkey dated November 2008, page 25, under the Government pension heading it does state "Full relief (N&R)" if you read the table on page 4, it reads,

quote:
(N & R)
Relief is only available if the individual is
... a national and
... a resident of the other territory.

Could you please find me the section that overules this.

The form stated for informing HM Revenue & Customs of leaving the country, I sent off and had aknowledged last year.

The link below is for the claim form and even that has the statement quoted below, admittedly it does state "many treaties" not all, but the Turkish treaty does have the N&R clause.

quote:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/dtindividual.pdf

quote:
‘Government' pensions
Many, but not all, treaties have special rules that apply if the pension is paid for service to the UK government or a local
authority. Under many treaties the UK will retain primary taxing rights over a 'government' pension.

If there is a way for me to reclaim the tax I have paid I really would like to know, but every way I have tried I hit the same wall.

Baz 8)

Offline joan

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 22:41:10 PM »
We have been living here permently for 18 months.Before moving here we got in touch with the tax office in the UK told them we were moving to Turkey permently and asked would we still be liable for tax in the UK,they said yes .We gave them our address in Turkey.This week we have just recieved our new tax code for next year.(sent to Turkey)!

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
baz if you look in the next column it states full relief for state and private pensions,(no N&R) government pensions applies to ex forces civil servents etc.
they dont make it easy to understand!!

Offline Firo

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
Does "government pensions" apply to fire fighters who's pensions are paid through local aurthorities?
Fi

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 15:03:54 PM »
good question Fi....i dont know!! probably not..  you could phone the centre for nonresidents and ask them,they are quite helpful.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 16:37:25 PM »

I found the state pension with full relief, but I am ex Civil Servant with a Government Pension.

Baz 8)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Pensions & Tax
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 16:57:44 PM »
fi..your question has been bugging me so i think i found your answer...
fire brigade pensions-paid directly by local authority are classed as government.
pensions paid by a fire authority under the (fire fighters pension scheme) are non- government.
hope this makes sense to you.!

Offline grahamturner09

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 17:53:57 PM »
Baz for turkey it said n+r
N relief is available wherever a national of the territory is resident

R  relief is available to residents only
then it said note 3+4

3 includes state and trivial commutation lump sum

4 relife for incapacity benefit avalable under pension article

Offline Diverbaz 1

Pensions & Tax
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 19:26:07 PM »
Graham here's the link, checkout page 25 (Turkey), column with the red 19 (Government Pensions) and then page 4 for the explanation. It quite clearly states N&R.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/dtdigest.pdf

Baz 8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 19:29:31 PM by Diverbaz 1 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf